Evaluation and Assessment in Medical Student Education Policy
The purpose of the current document is to outline the policy for oversight of evaluations and assessment for the School of Medicine. This policy ensures that evaluations completed about faculty, instructors, programs and courses as well as assessments completed about students:
- Follow procedures and policies designated by the School of Medicine education committees and leadership including confidentiality;
- Can be used to determine performance and inform decision making in a substantiated, consistent, and efficient manner.
Learners, faculty members, instructors and educational leadership in the University of California School of Medicine (SOM) are entitled to valid, consistent, complete, and coherent evaluation of their performance. The Educational Evaluation and Assessment units in the SOM’s Office of Medical Education (OME) are responsible for ensuring that the integrity and quality of evaluation and assessment performance data is sustained.
Bridges Curriculum evaluation policies and procedures should:
1. Provide the School of Medicine with the important information needed to guide curricular decision making that:
a. Meets the needs for continuous quality improvement of the curriculum;
b. Provides in-depth, dynamic data on the initial implementation of the curriculum.
2. Be respectful of student time and avoid student evaluation overload.
3. Meet institutional needs, such as course director decision making and teaching faculty promotion and tenure requirements.
4. Follow sound and rigorous evaluation principles and methods.
5. Be compliant with the accreditation standards on evaluation set forth by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME).
The Educational Evaluation and Assessments units are responsible for overseeing evaluations and assessment. This oversight includes designating the format, timing, structure, and technical set-up for administration, implementation, and reporting of evaluations and assessments. Moreover, course directors interested in adopting or editing evaluation or assessment instruments must consult with OME evaluation and assessment units prior to designing and implementing new instruments.
This oversight applies to all evaluations and assessments in the School of Medicine medical student education including those administered by departments, courses, and programs.
Accountable Dean or Director:
Associate Dean, Competency Assessment and Professional Standards
Director of Program Evaluation
Approval Date and Governing Body: Executive Committee, August 6, 2018
Last Updated: August 6, 2018