Student Travel Planning & Quick Links
International Vacation or Conferences
Use the checklist and information on Trainee Resources for Vacation and Conferences: TRVC website
Global Health Research or Rotations
Plan at least 5 months ahead for rotations and at least 7 months ahead for research. More time is needed if your site is new, popular or needs an in-country IRB.
Seek required Global Health Advising for academic work abroad during your next Physician Identity/ARCH Week, or by special arrangement with Mylo Schaaf.
Travel Quick Links
- Student trip reports: Read UCSF students’ reports on their trips abroad. To link you need to use UCSF WIFI or the VPN.
- International opportunities by region: Find descriptions and contacts for international opportunities often used by UCSF trainees.
- UCSF Global Health Research Projects: Search for a research project involving UCSF faculty. Search by location, investigator, program, or topic.
- UCSF International Travel Guidelines for Students & Trainees: Learn about the UCSF policy requiring special permission for funding or credit in higher risk locations. Please see your global health advisor for questions.
- State Department Website: Check for high risk locations that carry a State Department Warning level of 3 or 4.
- CDC Travel Health Notices: Check for high risk locations that carry a CDC Travel Warning of 3.
- UC Trip Planner: Click on the UC Trip Planner link and follow the prompts. Check for high risk locations that have an overall security rating of 5. Read other information specific to each country.
- IGLA Information: Get important information and warnings regarding LGBT and sexual orientation laws around the world.
- Required approval for human research projects: Start early since this process can take months and may require both UCSF and in-country approvals.
- CDC travel information: Look up travel immunizations, tropical diseases, and other travel health information.
- EVCP Trainee Resources for Travel: Find all the above and additional logistic planning info on the TRVC and TITR pages.
Present at a Global Health Conference
Consortium of Universities for Global Health: Join students and faculty from around the world to focus on global health education and implementation.
Unite for Sight: Attend a conference that emphasizes international innovation and entrepreneurship, and encourages student participation.