Resident Research Travel Program
Deadline: Application must be submitted by the 20th of the month for consideration the first two weeks of the following month.
- Must be a full-time UCSF resident from any department in the School of Medicine or School of Pharmacy at the time funds are awarded and the travel is to be completed. Students and fellows are not eligible.
- Strongly recommended applicants have completed the DCR (Designing Clinical Research) course or equivalent didactic training (e.g. MPH or PhD in Epidemiology).
- Awardees are expected to present the results of their work at the CTST-sponsored Resident Research Symposium (RRSy) scheduled every year in May.
- Projects must be hypothesis driven; clinical vignettes are not allowed. Reports of medical education or quality improvement initiatives should be submitted only if rigorous research methods are used to assess outcomes, research results are presented and interpreted, and results are expected to be generalized to a larger population beyond the initial site of implementation.
- Applicants must provide a letter of support from a faculty mentor, department chair, or program director that ensures matching funding for the resident for travel.
- Research must be already submitted and accepted to the conference at the time of the application.
- Awardees must submit written documentation of the presentation time and date and retain appropriate receipts prior to reimbursement of funds.
- Funds must be used for the travel expenses detailed in the application.
- Reimbursement is not available for travel completed prior to award date.
- Must use the travel award funds within 6 months following the award.
- For this competitive award program, priority will be given to abstracts that have been accepted at a national scientific meeting or have been selected for oral or plenary presentation.
There is no deadline for this application. However, please be advised that an application must be submitted by the 20th of the previous month for consideration the first two weeks of the following month. Travel should occur after the 15th of the following month at the earliest and no more than six months out at the latest. For example:
- Feb 20: Application due for presentations occurring any time from March 15 to Sept. 15.
- First two weeks of March: Any applications received by Feb. 20 will be reviewed.
- March 15 to Sept. 15: Any applications that are awarded are for travel to present within this timeframe.
Documents Required to Apply: Please collect before completing the online application. Only PDF versions of the following documents will be accepted:
- Conference Abstract: An abstract you have submitted.
- Submission Form: Print a PDF copy of the page you submit (once you’ve filled it out) or an email confirmation of your submission.
- Acceptance Form: The form or letter back from the conference at which you are planning to present stating your presentation has been accepted.
- Letter of Support: A brief letter from your Mentor, Program Director or Department Chair stating the he or she supports the proposal request and if an award is made, that he or she will provide matching funds for your travel. Please have them write it on institution letterhead and include name, title, school, and department. Letter writer should provide applicant with a copy to upload.
- DO THIS BEFORE COMPLETING AND SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION: In addition to these documents, you will need to supply the following Department Finance Information: Administrator First and Last Name, Administrator Email Address, Fund (must be 5014 or 5018 – any other Fund will result in the application NOT being funded), Department ID, Project, and Function. Optionally, you may also supply an Activity Period and/or a Flexfield. Your Department Finance Administrator is the person in charge of managing funds for the person, department or program promising to match funds in your Letter of Support. Please ask the person supplying your Letter of Support for their finance administrator. Please then work with the finance administrator for the other info listed above.