With Poll Everywhere, instructors can gather realtime dynamic feedback from their audience, using this robust web-based Audience Response System. This interactive tool replaces expensive ARS hardware (such as 'clickers') with standard web technology and hardware that students already have. Using their laptop, tablet or mobile device, students participate via easy-to-follow instructions, projected onscreen. They don't need to install a software application, or set up an account, to participate. As polling takes place, results update in real time on the projected display.
For School of Medicine Faculty and Staff working with the Bridges Curriculum, Technology Innovations is offering the following:
- Access to a full featured account. Unlike a basic (free) account, an upgraded account offers additional features. This includes up to 200 responses per poll, poll results archiving, and moderation support.
- Just-in-Time training. Workshops and 1-on-1 trainings that are timed to meet your needs.
If you are searching for ideas in how to implement Poll Everywhere in your class, we've got you covered. Read more about Live Polling to help you think about ways to deploy in your classroom.
Setting Up an Account
Step 1. Create your (free) basic account
- Go to www.polleverywhere.com and click the “Sign Up” button (top right).
- Click on “Getting Started” button and select “You’re Presenting”.
Fill out the web form to create your account. On the form, check the box for “I am an educator” and select “I am a Higher Education educator” when asked.
Note: use the email address that you will be most comfortable logging in with (this can be a personal email or your UCSF email).
Step 2. Install the (free) PollEv Presenter Add-in
- Go to www.polleverywhere.com/app
- Mac users: download & install the standalone Presenter App.
- PC users: download & install the Presenter App plug-in for PowerPoint.
- Log In
- Mac users: open the Presenter App and log in to your account.
- PC users: open PowerPoint and click on Poll Everywhere option in top menu. Click Log In button, and log in to your account.
How to Make Polls
This Technology Innovations original video covers the various poll types and how to go about creating them.
If you are looking for ideas on how to use live polling, read several ideas on how to engage your audience.
Integrating Polls into a Slide Deck
You can deliver a seamless lecture presentation by placing your polls within your PowerPoint or Keynote slide deck. Mastering this technique is guaranteed to make the classroom experience run more smoothly. Learn how to do this in PowerPoint by watching one of the following:
Presenting Polls in a Lecture Hall
Watch this Technology Innovations original video to understand how this works. It also covers some common troubleshooting tips to be aware of when presenting this way.
When you think you've mastered the basics, consider watching some of these videos to start delving into more intermediate- and advanced- user topics. Features such as Reports and Segmentation are some of the advantages of upgrading to our full institution-level account (available for School of Medicine faculty & staff only).