Clinical Microsystems Clerkship (CMC)
The UCSF School of Medicine Clinical Microsystems Clerkship (CMC) is a longitudinal clinical skills curriculum for first- and second-year medical students. It integrates direct patient care skills, health systems improvement skills, and interprofessional collaboration skills.
The CMC occupies one day each week throughout Foundations 1. Physician coaches facilitate small groups of five to six students in the learning of clinical skills and health systems improvement skills. Following a clinical skills immersion week during Foundations 121A, students are embedded into a clinical microsystem (front-line care delivery unit) for approximately ½ day weekly to work with the interprofessional team to measure and improve patient experience (satisfaction, quality, and safety).
For the other ½ day each week, students work with their coaches on direct patient care skills, initially in the Kanbar Center for Simulation and Clinical Skills. Once they have reached a level of competence in the Kanbar Center, students begin to work on these skills with patients in their microsystems. Concurrently, students work in their teams to improve the processes and outcomes of health care systems caring for UCSF patients today. Students’ quality improvement work has been presented, published, and won awards locally and nationally.
The CMC team includes a talented and committed group of faculty and staff listed below. The CMC co-directors design the curriculum. The CMC site directors and site coordinators lead the integration between medical student education and the three major health systems.
- Anna Chang, MD, Faculty Director (Division of Geriatrics)
- Allison Ishizaki, MPH, Curriculum Manager, Allison.Ishizaki@ucsf.edu
- Susannah Cornes, MD, Faculty Co-Director, Direct Patient Care (Department of Neurology)
- Sam Brondfield, MD, MA Faculty Co-Director, Clinical Preceptorships (Division of Hematology/Oncology)
- Lei Choi, MD, MPH, FACP, Faculty Co-Director, Health Systems Improvement (Division of General Internal Medicine)
- Catherine (Cat) Lau, MD, SFHM, Faculty Co-Director, Health Systems Improvement (Division of Hospital Medicine)
- Anna Kozas, Curriculum Coordinator, Anna.Kozas@ucsf.edu
- Jocelyn Faye, Curriculum Coordinator, Jocelyn.Faye@ucsf.edu
CMC SITE-BASED LEADERSHIP TEAMS:
- Therese Denoga, MPH, UCSF Health Site Coordinator, Therese.Denoga@ucsf.edu
- Shannon Fogh, MD, Faculty Site Director, UCSF Health (Department of Radiation Oncology)
- Stephanie Rennke, MD, Faculty Site Director, UCSF Health (Division of Hospital Medicine)
- Daphne Lo, MD, MAEd, Faculty Site Director, SFVAMC (Division of Geriatrics)
- Patricia Runquist, MPA, Site Coordinator, Patricia.Runquist@ucsf.edu
- Eric Isaacs, MD, Faculty Site Director, ZSFG (Department of Emergency Medicine)
- Kristin Casey Callaghan, MA, Site Coordinator, Kristin.Casey@ucsf.edu