AOC Initiative Resources for the Clinical Learning Environment
Creating an equitable, inclusive, welcoming, and actively anti-oppressive clinical learning environment is critical to the success of our students and to our core UCSF values. These environments also have a direct impact on our patients and colleagues. Developing skills and expanding our perspectives and knowledge to create equitable environments is a life-long process.
To help support and inspire this work, the Anti-Oppression Curriculum Initiative core team has organized a curated list of resources for clinical teachers. Many of these resources are brief (1-2 page) articles and short videos designed for busy faculty actively teaching in the clinical environment. They are meant as a starting point; different faculty will have different learning needs.
How To Use These Resources
It is recommended you focus on a single domain each month based on your own goals and learning edge. Consider setting a personal goal to review one of the resources in that domain each week. It can be helpful to find a colleague who is interested in partnering with you—sharing this learning can provide built-in accountability and valuable opportunities to debrief.
Where To Start
- Differences Matter DEI Champion training (6 hr training)
- UCSF Foundations of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Online Training (1 hr training)
- Anti-Racism Checklist for Medical Educators (1 page)
- Anti-Racism and Race Literacy: A Primer and Toolkit for Medical Educators (2 pages)
- Equity in Assessment Checklist (1 page)
- UCSF Bridges: Education on the Principles of Health Equity (10 min)
Assessment and Feedback
- Imagining an Anti-Racist UC Learning and Reflection Tool (2 pages)
- Imagining an Anti-Racist UC (50 pages)
Clinical Patient Experience
- Differences Matter Equity Toolkit for Patient Experience (3 pages)
- Pronouns Matter (website)
- Caring for Transgender, Non-Binary, and Non-Conforming and Gender Inclusive Expansive Individual, Part 1 (9 min video)
- Queer and Trans Family Affirming Language (2 pages)
- Person-First Language Article (5 page read) and Examples (1 page)
- Mitigating Healthcare Disparities Through Improved Medical Note Writing Skills (1 hr video)
Allyship and Upstanding
- Anti-Racism Learning Resources for Allies (Curated list of podcasts, readings)
- 9 Phrases Allies Can Say When Called Out Instead of Getting Defensive (2 pages)
- Whites Receiving Feedback on Racism and Responding from the Mainstream Framework: Above & Below by Robin D'Angelo (2 pages)
- Becoming an Anti-Racist Growth Zones (1 page)
Ready for more? In addition to reviewing these resources, consider investing in in-depth skill development courses through the Teach for UCSF Certificate in Teaching for Equity and Inclusion.