Away Rotation Instructions
Visiting Student Program 2021 - 2022 Update
UCSF is re-opening the Visiting Student Program for the 2021 - 2022 Cycle and will be following guidelines set by The Coalition for Physician Accountability’s Work Group on Medical Students Moving Across Institutions for Post Graduate Training.
Please note the following program dates, which are subject to change or cancellation:
- Beginning on April 15th, UCSF medical students may apply for and schedule in-person away rotations with a date that concludes in July or later. This means students may start an away rotation as early as June, providing the rotations ends in July or later.
- Currently you will only be allowed to do one Away Rotation.
- International away rotations have not been approved at this time.
- You will need to adhere to current UCSF Travel Guidelines.
The dates above and the reopening of Away Rotations are all subject to change or be cancelled depending on the pandemic and final recommendations by the Coalition. Please contact the Visiting Student Program manager Valerie Jones (Valerie.Jones2@ucsf.edu) for any questions or your Career Launch Advisor Wenia Lee (Wenia.Lee@ucsf.edu) for scheduling support.
- All away rotations count toward Tier 2 credit only and are NOT eligible for honors
- Students may get either 2 or 4 weeks of credit per institution. Please note: UCLA’s block calendar doesn’t line up with ours (their blocks are 3 weeks). Students may either request an extra week at UCLA, or just receive 2 weeks of credit for 3 weeks of work.
- The away institution must have a Training Affiliation Agreement (TAA) either in place or in progress.
- Away rotations require advance approval via an Extramural Course or Clerkship Application that is routed to the department at UCSF, as well as Dean John Davis. Instructions for obtaining approval are provided below, and on the form itself.
- In addition to the UCSF approval form, many institutions have their own application for students. Sometimes institutions request a letter of good standing, an embossed school seal on a form, or a certificate of malpractice/liability insurance.
- 6-9 months before the rotation, check to see if the institution is listed in the Training Affiliation Agreement Report, which can be found here. If it is not, contact Valerie Jones to see if a TAA can be worked out for the location. Please note that for international rotations, Dr. Mylo Schaaf must approve the experience before the TAA can be addressed.
- If you are interested in doing an international clerkship, please contact Mylo Schaaf in order to review the international programs with whom we have pending TAAs, and to discuss previous student experiences at various programs. Dr. Schaaf will need to sign off on the Application for Extramural Course or Clerkship form if you are doing an international rotation.
- Submit the Extramural Course or Clerkship Application form via DocuSign at least 4 weeks prior to the start of the start of the rotation.
- To receive an evaluation for your away rotation, you must provide your off-site faculty supervisor's name and email address. You will receive an email from Marcelo Furquim requesting this information. An evaluation link will be sent via MedHub to your off-site evaluator to complete. If you have questions, please contact Marcelo Furquim.