Clinical Training Appointments
UCSF welcomes visitors from other institutions for short-term electives and observational experiences. Both types of appointments require registration with the Office of Graduate Medical Education (GME). All required paperwork must be submitted to the Office of GME via the training program at least one month prior to requested start date.
For all of the visiting appointments described below, except for those at UCSF Fresno, UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital Oakland, or East Bay Surgery Program, the following two documents must be submitted with the appointment packets to OGME.
Short-Term Elective/Rotation (Participate in patient care)
Residents and clinical fellows with current appointments at other institutions may participate in a short-term rotation at UCSF Health , Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital and Trauma Center, and the San Francisco VA Medical Center if they are able to show proof of medical malpractice insurance (minimum of $1,000,000 per occurrence and $3,000,000 aggregate) and receive a salary from their home institution.
- New Appointment, California Licensed
- New Appointment, Unlicensed (in California)
- Continuing Appointment, California Licensed
- Continuing Appointment, Unlicensed (in California)
- New Appointment, Fresno
- Continuing Appointment, Fresno
- New Appointment, UCSF Benioff Oakland
- Continuing Appointment, UCSF Benioff Oakland
- New or Continuing Appointment, East Bay Surgery
- If the short-term visitor is an unlicensed DO, please have him/her complete the DO Registration form in lieu of the MD Postgraduate Training Registration Form.
Visiting Scholars (Observation only)
Individuals who are employed in a health-related profession or in a health profession related course of study, who only want to observe patient care and/or research may be appointed as visiting scholars.
Visiting Non-MD Students (Participate in patient care)
Students from other institutions who would like to train at UCSF and do not qualify for registration in the Schools of Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy, or Dentistry may be eligible for appointment through the Office of Graduate Medical Education.
Post Doctoral Observers
Post Doctoral Scholar Observational Experience
With prior approval from their principle investigators and home departments, and sign off from the Graduate Division, Post Doctoral Scholars may apply for clinical observational experiences through completion and submission of the appropriate paperwork.