Excellence in Teaching Awards
Call for Nominations for 2020 Excellence in Teaching Awards
We invite you to submit a nomination for the following awards:
- Academy of Medical Educators Excellence in Teaching Award for General Teaching
- Academy of Medical Educators/Program for Interprofessional Practice and Education (PIPE) Excellence in Interprofessional Teaching Award for UCSF Teaching Faculty
These two peer-nominated awards are intended to highlight outstanding frontline teachers of learners at all UCSF teaching sites who might otherwise go unrecognized.
Excellence in Teaching Award
These teachers are "unsung heroes" who demonstrate daily their dedication to education and teach in a manner that creates an encouraging, intellectually stimulating environment that promotes critical thinking and learning.
Excellence in Interprofessional Teaching Award
Interprofessional teachers work with learners from two or more professions (e.g. nursing and medicine or dentistry and pharmacy) with the goal of providing learners with the knowledge and skills to effectively collaborate in healthcare settings.
Submissions are due online by Friday, July 10, 2020. Note: each award has a separate form.
Who is eligible?
All faculty teachers of UCSF learners, trainees, students, residents, and fellows
- UCSF Volunteer Clinical Professors
- Faculty from All UCSF Schools
- Teachers from any UCSF teaching sites and affiliated sites including East Bay sites, Kaiser, Mission Bay, Mount Zion, Parnassus, UCSF Benioff Children's Hospitals (Oakland and San Francisco), UCSF Fresno, SFVAMC, and ZSFG.
- (NOTE: for Excellence in Interprofessional Teaching award, teachers must work with learners from two or more professions to promote learning with, from and about each other)
Who can nominate?
- UCSF faculty members who are among the following:
- Members of the Academy of Medical Educators
- Department or Division Leadership (e.g. Vice Chairs for Education or another appointment)
- Residency Program Directors
- Specialty Coordinators
- Clerkship Directors
- Course Directors/Faculty of Record
- Associate and Site Directors
- Course Element Leaders (Foundations 1): which include the Foundational Science (FS) and Inquiry Immersion blocks, the longitudinal Core Inquiry Curriculum, and Clinical Microsystem Clerkship (CMC)
- SOM Coaches
Essential elements of the narrative portion of the nomination:
- Attests to the nominee's teaching qualities and characteristics
- Describe the nominee's commitment to UCSF's PRIDE Values and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Excellence in Interprofessional Teaching Award only: Attests to the nominee’s abilities to teach interprofessional students (e.g. nursing and medicine or dentistry and pharmacy) curriculum that supports and aligns with interprofessional core competencies.
- Each nomination requires two faculty nominators
- The nominee can be within or outside your department/school
- Faculty can submit one primary nomination and one secondary nomination for either award
- The narrative is capped at 3500 characters
Selection and Notification Process
- Academy Excellence in Teaching Action Group
- PIPE Professional Development Committee
Notification and Recognition Information
- Recipients and Nominators are notified in August
- Recipients receive a certificate and letter copied to their department or division chair
- Recipients recognized at the Academy's Celebration of New Members, Thursday, September 17, 2020
Questions? Please contact Karen Brent at firstname.lastname@example.org.