Excellence in Teaching Awards
The Excellence in Teaching Awards are peer-nominated and intended to highlight outstanding frontline teachers of UCSF learners: students, residents, and fellows. Recipients for 2019 to be recognized at the Celebration of New Members on Wednesday, September 25, 3pm, at the Parnassus campus. The 2019 submission cycle is now closed, but please review eligibility and requirements for the 2020 cycle. The 2020 nomination call to be announced in late spring 2020.
2020 Nomination Cycle To Be Announced in May 2020
Eligibility Requirements for Nominees
- Faculty teachers of UCSF learners: students, residents, and fellows, and trainees
- Includes Volunteer Clinical Professors and faculty instructors from other schools (Dentistry, Pharmacy, and Nursing)
- All faculty members at all UCSF teaching sites and affiliated sites including East Bay, Kaiser, Mission Bay, Mount Zion, Parnassus, UCSF Benioff Children's Hospitals (Oakland and San Francisco), UCSF Fresno, VAMC, and ZSFG
- Nominees are eligible from all UCSF teaching sites and affiliated sites who might otherwise go unrecognized. These teachers are "unsung heroes" who demonstrate daily their dedication to education and teach in a manner that creates an encouraging and intellectually stimulating environment, which promotes critical thinking and learning
Must be UCSF faculty:
- Appointed Department Education Leadership (e.g. Vice Chairs for Education or other education-specific appointments)
- Members of the Academy of Medical Educators
- Residency Program Directors
- Clerkship Directors
- Course Directors and Course Co-Directors
- Associate and Site Directors
- Course Element Leaders (Foundations 1): which include the Foundational Science (FS) and Inquiry Immersion blocks, the longitudinal Core Inquiry Curriculum, and Clinical Microsystem Clerkship (CMC)
- School of Medicine Coaches
- Questions about eligibility to nominate? Please check with Karen Brent by email at [email protected]
Ineligible Nominations and Nominators
- Excludes - Recipients in the past three years
- Excludes - Members of the Academy of Medical Educators
- 2020 Nominations TBA May/June 2020.
- Each nominee requires two faculty nominators
- Nominee may be from within or outside of the nominator's department
- Faculty who submit one primary nomination are allowed to be a secondary nominator for one additional nominee
- The two nominators must submit a single nomination form attesting to the nominee's teaching qualities and characteristics, which is submitted to the recipient and department Chair.
- 250 word or 1800 character maximum for each statement of support.
- Your nomination, must include direct quotes from learners and specific examples of teaching scenarios. Strive for as much specificity and objective evidence as possible, and provide any of the following: numbers of learners reached, duration of teaching, objective evaluation data if available (e.g. MedHub).
- We request that nominators refrain from submitting mere lists of accomplishments or activities
Selection and Notification Process
- The Academy's Excellence in Teaching Awards Action Group reviews all nominations and determines the recipients and is chaired by Academy member Katherine Julian, MD
- Recipients and Nominators are notified in August
- Recipients receive a certificate and letter copied to their department or division chair
- Recipients recognized at the Celebration of New Members, (2020 date to be posted in late Spring 2020)
Questions? Please contact Karen Brent at [email protected].