Excellence in Teaching Awards
The Excellence in Teaching Awards are peer-nominated and intended to highlight outstanding front-line teachers of medical students, residents, and fellows. Learn more about the recipients honored at our Celebration of New Members on Wednesday, September 26, 2018.
2019: Submission call TBD
- May - June 2019
- Faculty teachers of UCSF School of Medicine students, residents, and fellows, including volunteer faculty and instructor from other schools (Dentistry, Pharmacy, and Nursing) that teach School of Medicine learners.
- All faculty members at all UCSF teaching sites and affiliated sites including East Bay, Kaiser, Mission Bay, Mount Zion, Parnassus, UCSF Benioff Children's Hospitals (Oakland and San Francisco), UCSF Fresno, VAMC, and ZSFG.
- Nominees are eligible from all UCSF teaching sites and affiliated sites who might otherwise go unrecognized. These teachers are "unsung heroes" who demonstrate daily their dedication to education and teach in a manner that creates an encouraging and intellectually stimulating environment, which promotes critical thinking and learning
Eligible Nominators are UCSF faculty members who are among the following:
- Appointed Department Education Leadership (e.g. Vice Chairs for Education or other education-specific appointments)
- Members of the Academy of Medical Educators
- Residency Program Directors
- Clerkship Directors
- Course Directors and Course Co-Directors
- Associate and Site Directors
- Course Element Leaders (Foundations 1): which include the Foundational Science (FS) and Inquiry Immersion blocks, the longitudinal Core Inquiry Curriculum, and Clinical Microsystem Clerkship (CMC)
- School of Medicine Coaches
- Excludes - Recipients in the past three years (2016-2018 recipients are not eligible)
- Excludes - Members of the Academy of Medical Educators
- Nominations due online
- Each nominee requires two faculty nominators
- Nominee may be from within or outside of the nominator's department
- Faculty who submit one primary nomination are allowed to be a secondary nominator for one additional nominee
- The two nominators must submit a single nomination form attesting to the nominee's teaching qualities and characteristics, which is submitted to the recipient and department Chair.
- 250 word or 1800 character maximum for each statement of support.
- Your nomination, must include direct quotes from learners and specific examples of teaching scenarios. Strive for as much specificity and objective evidence as possible, and provide any of the following: numbers of learners reached, duration of teaching, objective evaluation data if available (e.g. MedHub).
- We request that nominators refrain from submitting mere lists of accomplishments or activities.
- Submission online only
The Academy's Excellence in Teaching Awards Action Group reviews all nominations and determines the recipients. Recipients receive a certificate and letter copied to their department chair.
Questions? Please contact Karen Brent at [email protected].