The Jaclyne Witte Boyden Award honors and recognizes exemplary service by staff in support of health professions education.
Named for former Vice Dean Jackie Boyden, a strong advocate for the Academy’s establishment, two recipients are awarded and recognized annually at the Academy’s Celebration of New Members. Awardees to be recognized at the Celebration of New Members on September 17, 3-5pm.
We welcome nominees from all levels and sites, in all areas that support health professions education: departmental education staff, residency coordinators, essential and clinical core staff, and Dean's Office staff. We especially encourage nominations of front-line employees who directly impact the school's education mission (e.g. "the unsung heroes").
Nomination deadline: Tuesday, July 14, 2020
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
The Boyden Award recognizes two outstanding health professions education staff members for their exemplary service to UCSF health professions education:
- An award is given for each category:
- Early Career Staff with five or fewer years of service at UCSF
- Mid-Level Career Staff with more than five years of service at UCSF
- Recipients and nominees notified in August
- Excludes Office of Medical Education (OME), School of Medicine staff. OME staff are eligible for the Exceptional Service in Medical Education Award
Each nominee’s performance should exhibit one or more of the following characteristics in support of medical education:
- Contributes above and beyond his/her job description to activities, programs or events resulting in increased educational value for learners.
- Serves as a role model for teamwork and service to others.
- Makes the school and/or department/unit a better place to work and to learn by consistently demonstrating an open and helpful attitude, and by communicating and working cooperatively with students, residents, colleagues, and faculty.
- Demonstrates a commitment to excellence and inspires others to excel.
- Demonstrates and provides examples of how the nominee exemplifies UCSF PRIDE Values (Professionalism, Respect, Integrity, Diversity, and Excellence) - https://diversity.ucsf.edu/PRIDE-values
Any faculty member may submit a nomination online (one per faculty member per year). A completed nomination packet must include:
- A primary nomination (maximum two pages) from a faculty member citing specific examples in as many of the four characteristics noted above as applicable. (The primary nomination must include the nominee's work title, department, and years of service to education at UCSF.)
- One supporting letter (maximum one page). Any faculty or staff member can submit a supporting letter. A staff (supervisor or colleague) letter is encouraged.
- Only submissions from online form accepted.
A committee comprised of Academy members and staff will review nominations and select two awardees.
- One appreciation gift certificates ($75 value)
- Supported expenses for one health profession education-related professional development activity ($2000 max).
- This may cover registration fees, coach air, ground transportation, subsistence, and lodging, per UCSF policy, with the following requirements:
- The home department is expected to provide paid release time (not vacation leave).
Awardee submits funding request in advance to email@example.com, for review by Boyden committee chair and AME director. Funds must be used by June 30 annually, following award announcements. Reimbursement requests must be filed within three weeks following the activity or travel. Award recipient also serves the following year on the Boyden committee to select the 2021 recipients for the exceptional service and Boyden staff awards.
- Cindy Flores Gaytan and Twinkle Patel
- 2018: Sandi Borok and Dawnee Wong
- 2017: Kimberley Chan and Laura Pliska
- 2016: Bertha Dominguez and Michelle Libberton
- 2015: Bonnie Hellevig and Eva Lo
- 2014: Eve Dinh and Allison Ishizaki
- 2013: Elaine Chow and Sylvia DeCourcey
- 2012: Lisa Carella and Aisha Queen-Johnson
- 2011: Maureen Mitchell
- 2010: Marie Lim
- 2009: Chandler Mayfield
- 2008: Katherine Judish
- 2007: Gloria Medina
- 2006: Lloyda French
- 2005: Kevin Souza
- 2004: Kathy Healy
For questions or assistance, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.