Become a TOP Observer
In the CFE, our vision is a culture of peer observation of teaching at UCSF through an accessible Teaching Observation Program (TOP).
To that end, we've created a low barrier process to become a TOP Observer through our in-person workshops and online training module.
For TOP Observers who successfully complete training
- You can request a verification letter for your ADVANCE Educator's Portfolio or CV, with the option to send copies to your education leadership (e.g. department chair).
- You have the option for inclusion in our UCSF TOP Observer program, which provides a list of observers to TOP participants who wish to be observed. Our goal is to provide a robust list of observers across departments and schools at UCSF and create a culture of peer feedback
- Your contact information is protected from public view via MyAccess and only shared with confirmed participants.
- If you are an Academy member, this goes towards annual Academy service and participation.
Online Training Module
Developed by the Academy as an online method of training TOP Mentors, this module is accessible via the Collaborative Learning Environment (CLE) for UCSF and non-UCSF Faculty. The module benefits novices seeking to learn basic feedback skills and experienced mentors seeking to hone their skills or practice with a different teaching setting by using the principles of "blended learning."
Use the module in its entirety or adapt it to the needs of your department or division.
Live interactions require TOP Module Coaches, who are familiar with the training module and experienced in providing peer feedback. We recommend using this module to first train a group of mentors who can serve as Module Coaches for future TOP Mentors.
Key module features:
- Videos - Covering four different teaching settings. Users can select any that are of interest or most resemble their teaching environment.
- Self-assessments and reflection exercises
- Standardized feedback forms
- Live Debrief with trained Module Coach
- UCSF Faculty access the module in the CLE (requires MyAccess login), go to: https://courses.ucsf.edu/course/view.php?id=1579
- Non-UCSF Faculty can access our public versions:
CFE offers workshops throughout the year for in-person TOP Observer training:
- Teaching Observation Program: Introduction to Peer Assessment of Teaching
2:00pm - 5:00pm Thursday, June 20, 2019
Resources for TOP
Available online at http://tinyurl.com/PeerFeedbackWorkshop
If you have specific department needs or any questions regarding the TOP Observer program, please contact us at [email protected].