Academy Membership Application
The Academy’s annual membership application cycle begins in the spring and concludes with the induction ceremony in September.
Member Eligibility, Benefits, and Expectations
Eligible candidates must meet all the following requirements:
- Faculty member for three full years with at least two full years on faculty at UCSF as of June 1, 2022.
- Outstanding educator of health professions students and/or residents, and/or a faculty developer focused on health professions educators, at UCSF. CME activities for educators about education are germane to an application to the Academy, but clinically focused CME activities are not.
- Demonstrates excellence in Teaching and one other domain (Educational Leadership, Learner Assessment, Curriculum Development and Instructional Design, or Mentoring and Advising).
Benefits of Membership
- The Academy is a community of dedicated educators who work together to strengthen their own teaching and to promote excellence in teaching across UCSF.
- Academy members are recognized as highly accomplished educators and are often consulted by colleagues and departmental leaders on questions of educational import.
- Due to the rigor of the selection process, Academy membership is known to be a sign of outstanding performance by the committees that oversee UCSF's merit and promotion process.
- Members are eligible to apply for the Academy endowed chairs program and for professional development, presentation travel support relating to the Academy and its mission.
Expectations of Members
Academy members in good standing maintain the high level of work in education and teaching that qualified them for membership and contribute to advancing the Academy's mission.
Members fulfill minimum annual service expectations, e.g.:
- Further faculty development and improving teaching through Academy co-sponsored activities
- Contribute to an Academy action group or committee
- Actively participate in Academy meetings and attend events such as the Celebration of New Members and UCSF Education Showcase (50% of activities over a 2-year period)
- Document and reflect upon their participation and service
Academy members also contribute to a cyclical Membership Continuation Review process, for which they submit their current one-page Educator’s Portfolio Executive Summary in addition to their annual participation and service documentation and reflection.
Application to the Academy
2022 Application Timeline
Call for applications
|May 2||Deadline to request an application coach|
|May 23||Deadline to submit EP for administrative review (required)|
September 21, 3-5 pm
Celebration of New Members induction ceremony
2022 Application Guide and Templates
The Academy is pleased to announce our 2022 Call for New Members!
- Request an Application Coach. Coaches are Academy members who help faculty decide when to apply and offer guidance, support and feedback to applicants on their Educator’s Portfolio, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Statement, and selection of referees. To request a coach, email Kathleen.Land@ucsf.edu.
- Consider arranging a brief, informal peer feedback session about your teaching to help you demonstrate teaching outcomes in your Educator’s Portfolio. Ask a peer to observe you in any teaching setting, or discuss your teaching in a recently completed course with the course director. Use the new Brief Observation Teaching Tool, or AME-BOTT, to log your feedback and action plans: AME-BOTT.
- Consider scheduling a Teaching Observation Program (TOP) Session to get formal feedback from a trained observer.