Visiting Elective Scholarship
Visiting Elective Scholarship Program (VESP)
The Visiting Elective Scholarship Program supported by the UCSF School of Medicine was established to encourage fourth year medical students who are underrepresented in medicine, who are committed to working with underserved populations, or who are interested in working with issues related to diversity, equity, and inclusion to apply for a clinical elective at UCSF. The scholarship program provides up to $2,000 and is designed to:
- Expose fourth year medical students who are underrepresented in medicine, committed in working with underserved populations, or interested in working with issues related to diversity, equity, and inclusion to an academic training program
- Promote student interest in applying to an academic residency training program
- Provide faculty and housestaff mentorship during the clinical elective experience
Clinical electives are four weeks in length and are available, space permitting, to U.S. visiting students. VESP participants are assigned a faculty advisor and have the opportunity to network with UCSF faculty, housestaff, and students. A diversity dinner with faculty and housestaff is held during each rotation. In addition, all participants are invited and encouraged to attend various seminars and lectures including those offered by the UCSF Office of Diversity and Outreach and the UCSF Multicultural Resource Center.
WHO CAN APPLY?
- Fourth year U.S. medical students who are underrepresented in medicine, committed to working with underserved populations, or are interested in working with issues of diversity, equity, and inclusion are encouraged to apply.
- Only students enrolled at an affiliated LCME-accredited institution or COCA-accredited AACOM member institution may apply**.
- UCSF does not accept international students for clinical experiences.
- Student must be in good academic standing at an accredited US medical school.
- Student must be applying for a visiting elective based at one of the San Francisco Campuses.
- Requirements for the UCSF School of Medicine’s clinical electives must also be met. Please refer to VSAS for department-specific additional application requirements: UCSF VSAS Additional Requirements.
- If you are applying for a scholarship for electives in Emergency Medicine, General Surgery, or Radiology, please apply through the links below NOT HERE:
- Completed VESP application which you can fill out by clicking on the link below:
- An official academic transcript from your school of medicine.
- Recent CV which you can upload directly on the Qualtrics website when you apply for the VESP.
- Letter of recommendation on official letterhead from a faculty member in your department of interest
**Please note: Students MUST also apply to the clinical elective program of their choice through the UCSF School of Medicine. Students MUST apply to the VESP before their rotation begins in order to be considered.
Please refer to the Visiting Student Program Website for more info.
Scholarships (up to $2,000 each*), to be used toward visiting student elective fees, transportation costs and lodging) will be awarded on the basis of:
- Interest in pursuing a career in academic medicine
- Interest in working with underserved populations
- Commitment to issues related to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Community service
- Academic achievement as indicated by transcripts, letter of recommendation, etc
(*Scholarships are awarded on a rolling basis. Funds are awarded upon completion of the elective. Receipts must be submitted for reimbursement.)
DEADLINE: September 1, 2020 (or sooner if scholarship funds run out)
For further information, please contact:
Eddie Cruz-Romero, MD MPH, VESP Director