UCSF is fortunate to have a group of faculty prepared as education researchers with doctorates in education. They bring many years of experience to help individuals interested in education scholarship in the health professions to design conceptually well-grounded and rigorously administered research. CFE provides free consultation, mentoring, and support for faculty, trainees and students.
- one-on-one meetings for career mentoring
- group scholarship critiques
- consultations for education leaders on faculty development activities within their departments, programs, or courses.
- Direct individuals toward relevant conceptual framing, literature, and design for education scholarship.
- Facilitate the quality of education research by building on previous research and methods.
- Connect individuals with services and other resources to encourage education investigations and capacity-building in education skills.
UCSF faculty or learners seeking advice and/or assistance with education scholarship can consult individually with CFE faculty in these areas:
- Education Career Mentoring
- Curriculum Development
- Faculty Development Design
- Education Research Data and Data Collection
- CHR Protocol
- Research or Program Evaluation
- Teaching Observation
Group Consultations - Educational Scholarship Consultation (ESCape)
At weekly Education Scholarship Conference (ESCape) sessions:
- Participants work on developing education scholarship through brainstorming an idea
- Refining an abstract or grant proposal
- Critiquing a manuscript prior to submission.
- Regular participation builds breadth and experience in research by hearing what is shared about others’ projects and encourages the growth of a research community at UCSF.
Faculty Development Design Consultations
We work with committees, programs and departments to design faculty development offerings tailored to the educational needs of their faculty. These can be as brief as 15 minutes or as long as grand rounds. We also help chairs, program directors, and chiefs identify current faculty development offerings that may meet their needs, and to design needs assessments and other methods to discover those needs.
Our approaches and resources include:
- Faculty Development Express
- Pearls on Educational Principles
- Resident Teaching Development Program
- Teaching Observation Program
- Faculty Development for Curricular Initiatives