Medical Student Performance Evaluation
The Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE) is a written transcript of the student's performance in medical school and a required component of the residency application. The School of Medicine prepares MSPEs for all students in their final year of medical school regardless of the student's residency application plans in accordance with the AAMC’s guidelines. *Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, ERAS has extended the release date of MSPEs to residency programs to October 21, 2020; MSPEs for all applicants nationwide will be released on this date.
Please see sample MSPEs here:
• pre-Bridges curriculum (Class of 2021/2015 matriculation or prior years)
• Bridges curriculum (Class of 2021/2016 matriculation)
• Bridges curriculum (Class of 2021/2017 matriculation)
Providing information for the MSPE
Graduating students submit a current CV and complete an MSPE Info Form to highlight their significant activities and accomplishments during medical school. Graduating students receive instructions for how to submit this information in Spring prior to their graduation year.
In early Fall, students have the opportunity to review their MSPE and correct factual errors before it is finalized and sent to residency programs.
The format of the MSPE
MSPEs include the following:
- Noteworthy Characteristics: A brief description of up to three achievements, activities, or other personal information. The student selects which characteristics are included in this section.
- Academic History: Information on matriculation and expected graduation dates, and any extensions in educational program or time off.
- Academic Progress: Summary evaluation comments from FPC or CMC, clerkships, and Deep Explore work (if applicable). This section must include details of any non-passing grades or remediation. Descriptions of curriculum and special clinical tracks or programs are also included, such as JMP, MD/MAS, MSTP, PRIME, Model SFGH, KLIC, PISCES, VALOR (if applicable). JMP, MSTP, and PRIME program directors also contribute summaries for students who participate in these programs.
- Summary: A statement of the student’s fulfillment of the requirements to date in medical school, and diversity statement (if applicable).
- Medical School Information: An appendix that lists information about the School and composition of the MSPE.
Evaluations included in the MSPE
Summary evaluation comments are included from all Foundations 2 core clerkships and Career Launch clerkships completed through Summer that are received by the September deadline (deadline determined by MSPE team each year). For students who completed the Essential Core, the FPC summary evaluation is included; for students who completed Foundations 1, a brief summary of your CMC health systems improvement work from the CMC directors is included.
Summary evaluation comments are edited for grammar in the MSPE, but not for content. Students must submit any requests for revisions to summary comments to the course director within 4 weeks of an evaluation being completed.
The MSPE adjective*: Class of 2021 and future classes
The UCSF School of Medicine discontinued the use of MSPE adjective for the Class of 2021 and future graduating classes.
At the discretion of the Associate Dean for Competency Assessment and Professional Standards, an MSPE may be addended to include all evaluations received after the MSPE was originally transmitted. An addendum becomes a permanent part of the MSPE.
Frequently asked questions
Q. How do I request my MSPE for fellowship applications?
A. For fellowship applications through ERAS, please first email Sheila Salapare to let her know of your request, then submit an electronic request through the EFDO Medical Institution Document Upload Service (MIDUS) to have your MSPE uploaded, and include Sheila Salapare's contact information:
Student Assessment Coordinator
Medical Student Education
533 Parnassus Ave, Rm U-80
San Francisco, CA 94143
Our office can also upload your UCSF transcript via MIDUS. To do this, you will need to order a transcript from the UCSF Registrar (instructions here: http://registrar.ucsf.edu/transcripts/ordering-transcripts); in the MAIL OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT TO: field, enter: ERAS c/o Sheila Salapare (email@example.com). Additionally, submit a request in MIDUS for your transcript to be uploaded and enter the contact information above.
To have your MSPE sent directly to a program or institution, please email the contact information to Sheila Salapare (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please note: It is our policy to send MSPEs directly to ERAS or to the program/institution. We do not release official MSPEs directly to students or alumni.
Q: Will I be able to review my MSPE before it is finalized?
A: Yes, MSPE drafts for MS4s are available in late-August for review. Students receive an email with their MSPE draft and instructions for review.
Q: I am applying in an early match specialty (ophthalmology or urology). Will my MSPE be sent earlier to programs?
A: MSPEs are sent on October 21 regardless of specialty. October 21 is the national release date for MSPEs for the year 2020, and programs will not expect your MSPE before then. MSPEs for SF Match applicants will be uploaded via the SF Match portal on October 21.
Additional questions regarding MSPEs
Please contact LJ Moore-McClelland at Laura.Moore-McClelland@ucsf.edu.