As one of the largest graduate medical programs (GME) nationwide, UCSF is leading the way in innovations in education, patient care, research and community service. In partnership with UCSF Health, San Francisco Veterans Affairs Medical Center, and Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital and Trauma Center, as well as 60 additional training sites, we strive daily to provide our residents and fellows with the highest quality education and training, graduating some of the best doctors in the world.
Examples of UCSF GME excellence:
- The School of Medicine has 1,551 residents and clinical fellows in approximately 170 accredited and non-accredited programs.
- Doximity, in partnership with US News & World Report, ranked US residency programs in 20 specialties. UCSF ranked in the top 20 in all 20 of the ranked specialties, and in the top 10 for 15 of the specialties.
- UCSF’s residency programs ranked 1st in anesthesiology, dermatology, neurological surgery, neurology and radiology.
- UCSF is one of only eight resident training sites nationwide to be included in the Pursuing Excellence in Clinical Learning Environments initiative. GME at UCSF includes the nation’s first Resident and Fellow Quality Improvement Incentive Program.
- UCSF’s longstanding work improving the clinical learning environment was recognized this year through a new competitive grant program, Pursuing Excellence Innovators across the country. Through the support of this grant, we aspire to be a national leader in further innovations and best practices in the clinical learning environment.