- About UCSF Pathways to Discovery
- Ways to Participate
- Pathways Explore
- Independent Project Work (IDS 140.20)
- MD with Distinction
- Learner Resources
- What's New
- Contact Us
- UCSF Inquiry Symposium
- Pathways Leadership
- The Five Pathways
- For Mentors and Alumni
Pathways Explore offers opportunities for learners at all levels and from all schools to learn about or work in one of the pathways areas before enrolling in Pathways. It includes classes, electives, and summer and other short term research and innovation opportunities.
Learners at all levels can use the resources below to reflect on their competency and professional development.
For School of Medicine students:
- Visit the RAPtr website (the Resource Allocation Program for Trainees) in January to learn more about available summer opportunities, applications, and deadlines.
- Learners entering their second year of Medical School at UCSF can apply for funding to support up to 8 weeks of summer research and other summer opportunities.
- Medical students may seek funding for international clinical rotations as part of Global Health Pathway "Explore." Visit the RAPtr website to learn more about available funding and the Global Health Pathway site for advice and additional requirements related to international work.
For all health professional students:
- For learners interested in scholarly work in education and curriculum development, visit the Summer Curriculum Ambassadors website for more information
- Visit the RAPtr website (the Resource Allocation Program for Trainees) in January to learn more about available summer opportunities, applications, and deadlines
Selecting a Pathway
Some learners complete a Pathway via their school or the UCSF Pathways to Discovery. Whether they do or not, the questions and action items below can help UCSF members to choose paths toward innovation leadership careers.
In choosing a pathway, consider:
- Future career goals
- Developing mentoring networks
- Skills you would like to acquire
- What sort of mentored project you'd like to complete during your UCSF training
- Select electives and public service with potential PTD work in mind
- Read up on the pathways of interest
- Meet with pathway directors/co-directors
- Discuss with your career advisors
- Talk to senior students/pathway participants