- Advising & Career Development
- MedStudent Portal
- How Do I?
- Get Funding for Conference Expenses
- Get Funding for a Student Event
- Reserve a Room for a Student Event
- Get a Letter of Good Standing
- Get Excused from Jury Duty
- Get a Copy of my Student Record
- Make a Change to my Clinical Schedule
- Sign up for First- or Second-Year Electives
- Asked to be Excused from Class/Clerkship
- Get Assistance with a Needle Stick Injury
- Get or Reset an APeX Account?
- Complete APeX Training?
- Request a Grade Change
Medical Student Education
Visiting Student Program
- Applications are accepted beginning February 1 of each year; applications are processed beginning April 20 of each year after UCSF students have enrolled in their 4th-year clerkships. There is no advantage to applying early.
- Applicants must be in good academic standing and actively progressing toward a Doctor of Medicine degree at an affiliated LCME-accredited institution, or a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine degree at an affiliated COCA-accredited, AACOM member institution.
- The UCSF School of Medicine uses the AAMC Visiting Student Application Service (VSAS) to receive applications from US medical and osteopathic students.
- Applicants must sign and upload the Visiting Student Disclosure Consent form as a supplemental document in VSAS.
- UCSF does not accept international students for clinical experiences.
- The maximum amount of elective time for visiting students is 3 months (12 weeks) at UCSF.
- Once accepted, applicants must pay $300 processing fee, using instructions provided by department contact. The $300 processing fee is required for each elective, even if in the same department. UCSF accepts credit card payments only. Once you are offered an elective, the department coordinator will contact you with payment instructions.
- Accepted visiting students, Residents or Fellows who require disability accommodations in order to meet academic standards should contact the UCSF Office of Student Disability Services a minimum of two weeks prior to the start of any rotation or as soon as the need for the accommodation is identified. Later requests may necessitate rescheduling of the rotation until accommodations can be arranged. AFFILIATE will inform Students/Residents who plan to rotate at UCSF of the need to request any needed accommodations as early as possible. The AFFILIATE agrees that all expenses related to the accommodation of Students/Residents with disabilities who rotate at UCSF under this agreement are the responsibility of the AFFILIATE.
- Once scheduled and confirmed, visiting students who wish to withdraw must do so at least 8 weeks before their start date. Fees are non-refundable. All cancellations and changes must be made in writing to the department. If a visiting student withdraws from an elective less than 8 weeks before the starting date or fails to notify the department at all, a letter will be written to the student's dean.
US Medical and Osteopathic Students
Only students enrolled at an affiliated LCME-accredited institution or COCA-accredited, AACOM member institutions may use VSAS to submit applications and supporting documentation.
Note application requirements and department-specific additional requirements listed on the UCSF School of Medicine VSAS page.
Complete a VSAS application for your preferred electives and dates.
Canadian Medical Students
UCSF accepts students from Canadian institutions with which we have a Training Affiliation Agreement (TAA). See below for more information on TAAs.
International Medical Students
UCSF does not accept international students for clinical experiences.
- For help using VSAS, refer to the Using VSAS webpage or contact VSAS at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For general information about applying for UCSF rotations through VSAS, see the UCSF School of Medicine VSAS page.
- For specific questions about your application, please contact the department to which you are applying.
Training Affiliation Agreements
UCSF School of Medicine requires an approved Training Affiliation Agreement (TAA) with your home institution to allow for participation in the visiting medical student program. Where appropriate, UCSF School of Medicine uses the AAMC Uniform Clinical Training Affiliation Agreement.
Students who are in good academic standing and actively progressing toward a Doctor of Medicine degree at an affiliated LCME-accredited institution, or a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine degree at an affiliated COCA-accredited, AACOM member institution, are welcome to apply; all applications will be considered. For students from institutions without a TAA, we have a process for reviewing applications and will contact your school to request a TAA as needed. Please DO NOT contact UCSF regarding TAAs. The TAA must be approved before a student can be offered a rotation at UCSF. For a listing of institutions with affiliation agreements, see the Training Affiliation Agreement Report.
Nondiscrimination / Equal Opportunity Compliance Statement
The University of California, San Francisco, in compliance with the Title IV of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of The Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, handicap, or age in any of its policies, procedures, or practices; nor does the university discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation. This nondiscrimination policy covers admission and access to, and treatment and employment in, university programs and activities, including but not limited to, academic admissions, financial aid, educational services, and student employment.