- Advising & Career Development
- Medical Student Experience
Medical Student Education
Bridges Curriculum students in the Class of 2020 and subsequent classes need to meet all requirements of Foundations 1, Foundations 2, and Career Launch. For details, please see the Bridges Curriculum website.
Graduation requirements for Classes of 2017, 2018, and 2019 are listed below.
Upon graduation, students are required to have demonstrated competence in all of the MD Program Objectives. For each competency, a set of milestones defines the expected progress throughout medical school toward achieving competence.
Unit and Clinical Requirements for Graduation
Students must complete a total of 239 units with a passing grade including all required courses prescribed in the curriculum of the UCSF School of Medicine, and must be registered in the quarter of graduation from the School of Medicine.
|TOTAL UNITS REQUIRED: 239|
|Essential Core||Clinical Core||Advanced Studies/Clinical Electives|
|Prologue||9||Family and Community Medicine (FCM 110) - 6 weeks||9||Tier 1A - 8 weeks minimum||12|
|Organs||16||Medicine 110 - 8 weeks||12||Tier 1B - 8 weeks minimum||12|
|M&N||10||Neurology 110 - 4 weeks||6||Tier 2 - 8 weeks minimum||12|
|BMB||12||Psychiatry 110 - 4 weeks||6||Discretionary - 14 weeks minimum*||21*|
|FPC Year 1||7||OBGYN 110 - 6 weeks||9||Coda - 3 weeks||4.5|
|I-3||11||Pediatrics 110 - 6 weeks||9|
|M-3||10||Surgery 110 - 8 weeks||12|
|Epilogue||14||Surgical Subspecialty Selective - 2 weeks||3|
|FPC Year 2 + Transitional Clerkship||8||Anesthesia 110 - 2 weeks||3|
|IDS 112 Intersession||4|
|IDS 111 Longitudinal Clerkship Experience||3|
- Tier 1A clerkships are 4-week advanced patient care rotations at UCSF or a few of its affiliated sites on services that have interns or a clear role for 4th years to manage patients directly. Tier 1B clerkships are 4- or 2-week clinical advanced patient care rotations at UCSF or a few of its affiliated sites on services in which the student has responsibility for patient management as a member of the primary or consultant team. Tier 2 courses and clerkships have clinical content but not necessarily patient care responsibility. All extramural clinical experiences are classified as Tier 2.
- *14 weeks of discretionary work assumes that 6 elective units were taken during the Essential Core. Students who did no EC elective work will need to complete 18 weeks of discretionary work during the clinical years.
- No more than 6 elective units from the Essential Core can be applied to the total required for graduation.
- MSTP Students: 28 weeks advanced clinical work (T1/T2) are required. Up to 6 units (4 weeks) of MED 160.04 or MED 170.36 can be applied to this requirement.
- Medicine subinternships (MED 140.01) must be taken at a site other than where the student took the Medicine Core Clerkship (MED 110). Occasionally a student may be assigned to the same site twice for their Medicine rotations if there are no other subI slots at the time the student is available; this is an unusual event and will be decided with the MSE staff based on lottery results.
- Off-campus elective courses taken by a registered student may be approved for credit toward the M.D. degree from institutions with whom UCSF has documented Training Affiliation Agreement (TAA) in place or in progress. Students may take a maximum of 22 weeks of elective courses/clerkships at another institution.
Graduation requirements specific to each graduating class are posted in iROCKET.
For more details, please consult the full text of Section III of the Regulations of the Faculty of the School of Medicine, UCSF at http://senate.ucsf.edu/0-bylaws/somb.html#somreg.