- About CFE
- Get Involved
- For Educators
- For Education Scholars
- For Residents and Students
- For Educational Leaders
- For Academy of Medical Educators
- About Us
- Membership Application
- Membership Benefits
- Expectations of Members
- Committees and Organization
- Membership Directory
- Faculty Development Resources
- For Volunteer Clinical Faculty (VCF)
- Faculty Development
- Educational Skills Workshops
- Teach for UCSF Certificate Program
- Teaching Scholars Program
- Advanced Education Programs
- Careers and Excellence in Education
Center for Faculty Educators
Pearls on Educational Principles
Design of curriculum at UCSF should be based on well-developed educational principles. The Pearls on Educational Principles program consists of brief one-page brochures that include a description of an educational theory, applications of the theory, and space to develop new applications for teaching in the curriculum. These brochures can be used as part of faculty development or as a refresher on an educational theory.
- Apprise faculty as to how educational principles inform the curriculum.
- Provide an educational rationale for activities and assessments in the curriculum.
- Adaptive Expertise
- Cognitive Apprenticeship
- Deliberate Practice
- Self-Directed Learning
- Situated Learning
- Social Cognitive Theory
- Workplace Learning
What does the research say?
- Do online learning and flipped classrooms have better outcomes than face-to-face, teacher-guided learning?
- Does self-directed learning produce outcomes equal or superior to face-to-face, teacher-guided learning?
- Why and how should we teach learners to be self regulated?
- Why teach foundational concepts rather than facts?