- Advising & Career Development
- MedStudent Portal
- How Do I?
- Get Funding for Conference Expenses
- Get Funding for a Student Event
- Reserve a Room for a Student Event
- Get a Letter of Good Standing
- Get Excused from Jury Duty
- Get a Copy of my Student Record
- Make a Change to my Clinical Schedule
- Sign up for First- or Second-Year Electives
- Asked to be Excused from Class/Clerkship
- Get Assistance with a Needle Stick Injury
- Get an APeX Account and Complete APeX Training?
- Request a Grade Change
Undergraduate Medical Education
- Applications are accepted beginning February 1 of each year; applications are processed beginning April 20 of each year after UCSF students have enrolled in their 4th-year clerkships.
- Applicants must be in good academic standing and actively progressing toward a Doctor of Medicine degree at an affiliated LCME-accredited institution, or a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine degree at an affiliated COCA-accredited, AACOM member institution.
- The UCSF School of Medicine uses the AAMC Visiting Student Application Service to receive applications from US medical and osteopathic students.
- UCSF does not accept international students for clinical experiences.
- The maximum amount of elective time for visiting students is 3 months (12 weeks) at UCSF.
- Once accepted, applicants must mail a check for $200 payable to "UC Regents" to the department contact. The $200 processing fee is required for each elective, even if in the same department.
- Accepted visiting students, Residents or Fellows who require disability accommodations in order to meet academic standards should contact the UCSF Office of Student Disability Services a minimum of two weeks prior to the start of any rotation or as soon as the need for the accommodation is identified. Later requests may necessitate rescheduling of the rotation until accommodations can be arranged. AFFILIATE will inform Students/Residents who plan to rotate at UCSF of the need to request any needed accommodations as early as possible. The AFFILIATE agrees that all expenses related to the accommodation of Students/Residents with disabilities who rotate at UCSF under this agreement are the responsibility of the AFFILIATE.
- Once scheduled and confirmed, visiting students who wish to withdraw must do so at least 8 weeks before their start date. Fees are non-refundable. All cancellations and changes must be made in writing to the department. If a visiting student withdraws from an elective less than 8 weeks before the starting date or fails to notify the department at all, a letter will be written to the student's dean.
US Medical and Osteopathic Students
Only students enrolled at an affiliated LCME-accredited institution or COCA-accredited, AACOM member institutions may use VSAS to submit applications and supporting documentation.
Note application requirements and department-specific additional requirements listed on the UCSF School of Medicine VSAS page.
Complete a VSAS application for your preferred electives and dates.
Canadian Medical Students
UCSF accepts students from Canadian institutions with which we have a Training Affiliation Agreement (TAA). See below for more information on TAAs.
International Medical Students
UCSF is not accepting international students for clinical experiences at this time.
- For help using VSAS, refer to the Using VSAS webpage or contact VSAS at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For general information about applying for UCSF rotations through VSAS, see the UCSF School of Medicine VSAS page.
- For specific questions about your application, please contact the department to which you are applying.
Training Affiliation Agreements
UCSF School of Medicine requires an approved Training Affiliation Agreement (TAA) with your home institution to allow for participation in the visiting medical student program. The TAA must be approved before student can be offered a rotation at UCSF. Do not contact UCSF regarding TAAs until the UCSF department to which you applied has contacted you regarding your application. The Training Affiliation Agreement Report lists institutions with existing approved affiliation agreements.
If an institution would like to establish a Training Affiliation Agreement with UCSF, requests must be submitted via email by an appropriate home school representative to Liana Crosby, UME Coordinator. The request should include the following:
- Official name of institution/medical school
- Location of institution/medical school
- Type of program (MD, DO, MBBS, etc.)
- Home Representative and/or Institution contact information, including name, title, address, email and phone number
Nondiscrimination / Equal Opportunity Compliance Statement
The University of California, San Francisco, in compliance with the Title IV of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of The Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, handicap, or age in any of its policies, procedures, or practices; nor does the university discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation. This nondiscrimination policy covers admission and access to, and treatment and employment in, university programs and activities, including but not limited to, academic admissions, financial aid, educational services, and student employment.