Faculty wishing to apply to the Teaching Scholars Program go through a competitive application process. Applicants must secure support from their department in the form of release time from departmental duties on Tuesday afternoons from September through August. Associate physicians are not eligible to apply.
Program participants have access to textbooks and the online curriculum designed by the co-directors, and weekly seminar-style discussions. CFE faculty researchers provide mentoring in a research or curriculum-development project.
The Teaching Scholars Program is a weekly Tuesday afternoon course that runs from September through June, with independent study time in July. Sessions generally start at 1pm and end at 5pm. Research group consultations take place monthly. One TSP session per month is devoted to a Key Educational Skills workshop, which is open to other UCSF faculty. TSP location varies between different classrooms, conference rooms, the computer lab, and the clinical skills center.
- Deadline: April 1 at midnight
- Notification: May 15
To apply to the Teaching Scholars Program:
- Draft and gather all elements of the application packet as listed below:
- Download the Application Cover Sheet.
- Goals Statement. Please write a narrative of approximately 1000 words describing:
- Your teaching interests and responsibilities. Who you teach (students, residents, faculty?). What format you typically use in your teaching (lecture, small group, one-on one?). What interests you about teaching (how to do it, the motivation of learners, how to assess learning, how to develop interesting programs, how to lead change in a program, etc.) What contributions you have made in teaching that show your particular interests in this area.
- Your career plans.
- What you hope to gain from the program.
- Curriculum Vitae.
- Letter of Support. From department chair, addressed to Dr. Patricia O'Sullivan, that addresses the following points:
- support for your participation in the program and its alignment with your career development.
- release time for Tuesday afternoons for the year, September through August.
- Assemble into a single .pdf document.
- E-mail by April 1 at midnight to Victoria Ruddick, Faculty Development Manager, [email protected]
- Contact us if you do not receive a confirmation of the receipt of your application.
Selection Process and Criteria
The program leadership seeks to balance each class of teaching scholars by gender, home department, and other factors.