- Graduation Requirements
- Teaching Sites
- Curriculum Governance
- Curriculum Evaluation
- Guidelines & Policies
- Leave of Absence
- Visiting Student Program
- Advising & Career Development
- MedStudent Portal
Medical Student Education
Position Available: Advisory College Mentor
The School of Medicine’s Advisory College Program is designed to provide medical students with mentoring and personalized academic advising, facilitate student communication among peers and faculty, and guide students through an array of educational resources, timelines, clinical care settings, and prospective career options. The goals of the program are: (1) to help students foster closer relationships with each other and their advisors, (2) access resources and make career decisions in an informed and productive way, and (3) enhance their personal and professional development.
In this role, a current UCSF faculty member from the School of Medicine will be supported at 25% effort to oversee the professional development of a cohort of medical students. Reporting to the Associate Dean for Students in the Office of Undergraduate Medical Education, the incumbent is also expected to participate in all Screening and Promotions Committee meetings and act as the liaison to his/her mentees of discussions that occur there.
- Meet with students individually and in small groups; participate in social activities and SOM activities including Orientation, White Coat Ceremony, Commencement, and other events that recognize student promotion and achievement.
- Support students, focusing on early identification of difficulty and interventions. Participate in review of Step I Study Plans, clerkship planning, career decision-making, extended programs, etc.
- Provide consultation to Deans and faculty as necessary to address issues regarding students. Attend meetings such as Screening Committee where student performance issues are discussed.
- Support programs aimed at UIM students.
- Participate in activities to build skills and expertise in mentoring. Collaborate with others in the SOM whose interests and services are similarly aligned, including UME advisor specialists, with the goal of a unified advising program between staff and faculty.
- Participate in the building of the curriculum and serve as faculty facilitators/preceptors in selected aspects of the curriculum such as Intersessions, Transitional Clerkship, and CODA; Collaborate with FPC Competency Coaching teams.
- Participate in Bridges planning as is relevant to advising and mentoring and the development of programs within the curriculum to maintain a healthy learning environment at UCSF.
- Active physician license by the Medical Board of California
- UCSF faculty appointment in the School of Medicine
- Knowledge of needs of medical students
- Ability to relate to medical students
- Ability to work collaboratively with the School of Medicine administration
- One or more years of clinical experience since board-certification
- Experience teaching, advising, or counseling medical students
Candidates should submit a CV and Cover Letter via email to Kalai Diamond (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Thursday, March 27, 2014.