- Faculty Development
- Educational Skills Workshops
- Teach for UCSF Certificate Program
- For Departments & Committees
- Teaching Scholars Program
- Advanced Education Programs
- Consultation & Services
- Educational Research at UCSF
- Outcomes & Success Stories
Research and Development in Medical Education
TSP Learner Objectives
At the end of the year-long program, scholars will be able to:
1. Analyze how learning theory relates to design of curriculum and educational activities.
- Assess different learning theories
- Apply theories to learning knowledge, attitudes and skills
- Assess the research evidence related to different learning theories
- Analyze the successful use of technology to enhance learning
2. Demonstrate the ability to use various teaching methods appropriately matched to the knowledge, attitudes and skills to be taught.
- Analyze the relationship between learning theory and teaching
- Determine elements of instructional design
- Master various teaching strategies
- Large group
- Small group
- Strategies appropriate to changing behavior and attitudes
- Develop expertise in giving feedback
3. Determine the steps in curriculum development and evaluation
- Identify different curricular models
- Describe the process in curriculum development
- Develop program evaluations
- Determine how to identify the costs of a curriculum
- Analyze approaches for obtaining informed consent for curricular research
- Analyze the relationship between accreditation and curriculum.
- Develop a faculty development program.
4. Master various assessments of learning
- Demonstrate ability to interpret reliability and validity of measures.
- Analyze the strengths and weaknesses of various assessment strategies
- Design assessments including
- Select appropriate course and instructor evaluations.
- Design a program evaluation
5. Develop leadership skills and career plans
- Plan one's own career development
- Analyze the roles and expectations for educational leadership
- Analyze the role of mentors in career development
- Assess educational leadership opportunities within and outside the university
6. Develop skills in educational research sufficient to propose, conduct, analyze and present a study.
- Write a proposal that has a defined research problem, well designed with appropriate measurement and analytical plan.
- Select appropriate designs and measures for given research questions
- Devise an analytical plan with assistance as needed that addresses power, analytical challenges, missing data, and procedures
- Identify characteristics of accepted and rejected studies
- Write an abstract for medical education research
- Critique an educational research article