- About Medical Education
- Our Organization
- Staff Directory
- Medical Education Community
- Medical Education News
- Year in Review Reports
- LCME Accreditation
- Program Statistics
- Education Policies
- Job Openings in Medical Education
UCSF School of Medicine received full accreditation by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) in 2011. As part of the LCME accreditation process that occurs every eight years, the LCME conducted a site visit to the UCSF School of Medicine in January, 2011. Five members from an ad hoc survey team met with various faculty, staff and students to discuss all aspects of the institutional resources and policies, educational curriculum, medical student life, and faculty life during the site visit. The site visit concluded with an exit interview with Chancellor Desmond-Hellmann and Dean Hawgood.
The LCME report commended several strengths:
- Medical students enjoy an extraordinarily scholarly academic environment that provides a plethora of opportunities for participation in research.
- The dean presides over and supports an environment that is collaborative, innovative, and scholarly. Faculty and trainees at all levels voiced confidence in the administration of the medical school and campus.
- A culture of innovation and scholarship in medical education pervades the institution. The energy and passion of the faculty for teaching and mentoring were apparent throughout the visit.
- The quality and cohesion of the faculty are exemplary.
- The UCSF Medical Center, SFGH, and SFVAMC comprise outstanding clinical resources for the school of medicine. The dean maintains excellent relationships with the leadership of these institutions.
Prior to the LCME site visit, UCSF engaged in an eighteen month self-study. Over 250 faculty, students and staff participated in the self-study process, which incorporated extensive planning, data collection, self-evaluation and analysis, synthesis and writing reports. The self-study process confirmed the effectiveness of the educational program and the excellence of those who make it so successful.
The next LCME site visit for UCSF will take place during the 2018-19 academic year. For further information on the accreditation process, please visit the LCME website.