UCSF Requirements and Resources to Work Abroad


Consider the following steps as you plan your international projects:

  1. Setting up you global health experience

Resources for Researching Your Trip:

  1. Finding funding
  1. Required pre-departure
  • All students traveling abroad for academic reasons are required to follow the same pre-departure protocol. Travel insurance issues are explained here (Link Coming Soon)
  • Complete and turn in the Predeparture Checklist to the RAPtr Coordinator in the Office of Undergraduate medical Education S-221
  • Complete and turn in the Release and Hold Harmless Form to the RAPtr Coordinator in S-221
  • Register for International Travel Medical & Evacuation Insurance through ACE/iJet
  • Obtain your International Travel Insurance Card through SOS (for students enrolled in Student Health Insurance)
  • Complete the pre-trip on-line course: Concepts in Global Health (Link coming soon)
  1. Returning from abroad


The staff of the UCSF School of Medicine Global Health Pathway lists opportunities on the linked pages as a convenience to UCSF students. Students are not only encouraged to, but should do their own research and preparation for each placement opportunity and not rely solely on the information provided on these pages.

UCSF web sites may contain links to non-University sites (“Third-Party Sites”). UCSF is not responsible for and does not control the content of linked Third-Party Sites; therefore, UCSF assumes no liability for any content on such sites. The inclusion of any link does not imply and should not be interpreted as a UCSF endorsement of the site, entity, products or services.