- Pathways Programs at UCSF
- Global Health
- About Global Health
- For Health Professional Students
- MD with Distinction
- For Residents, Grad Students and Fellows
- MS in Global Health Sciences
- UCSF Requirements and Resources to Work Abroad
- For Mentors and Alumni
Find a Mentor
Evidence of supervision and mentorship is required both at UCSF and at the proposed site. All mentors oversee academic, ethical, and safety issues. A UCSF mentor is someone who has a good sense of the trainee’s interests and long terms goals; someone who will stay in contact with the trainee while abroad especially if issues arise; and finally someone who will help the student debrief when they return. At least several months in advance of any travel or funding applications, UCSF mentors must meet with the student. International on-site mentors will be in email contact until the student arrives at the site, and then are responsible for facilitating the scholarly experience and any day-to-day matters that arise.
- Student trip reports: find mentors other students have used.
- UCSF faculty databases: find mentors based on research or projects