- Pathways Programs at UCSF
- Global Health
- About Global Health
- For Health Professional Students
- MD with Distinction
- For Residents, Grad Students and Fellows
- MS in Global Health Sciences
- For Mentors and Alumni
About Global Health
The goals of the Global Health Pathway are:
- To provide UCSF undergraduates with an Explore Global Health option, which allows medical students who are not committed to the Global Health Pathway to investigate a possible career interest in this field.
- To prepare UCSF undergraduate and graduate trainees to be successful in global health careers, through knowledge acquisition, skill building, and academic project work in the Global Health Pathway. The experiential focus of this Pathway will be a mentored project that focuses on an underserved population. Students and trainees are also encouraged to consider advanced degree work by enrolling in the Masters in Global Health through Global Health Sciences at UCSF.
- To support collaborative projects across disciplines and schools by engagement in such inter-professional programs as the complex humanitarian leadership skills training program.
The Global Health Pathway will achieve these goals by offering courses and educational opportunities to build a background understanding of the vocabulary, problems, and concepts in global health, and to develop tools for success in global health careers.
Successful graduates of this program will pursue academic careers in global health research, in global health medical education, in agencies such as the WHO, CDC, USAID, or as project officers in Foundations such as the Bill and Melinda Gates or the Clinton Foundations, or combinations of the above.
Global Health Pathway Programs
Read more about our programs and their requirements in the Global Health Pathway Information Packet.
Health Professional Students
The Pathway to Discovery in Global Health is a program for UCSF medical students who want to make a commitment to become part of the official pathway. This Pathway supports students who are involved in global health through in-depth course work as well as longer-term clinical or research experiences.
Residents, Grad Students & Fellows
Two pathway options are available for graduate level professionals and UCSF trainees: