- CFE Community
- Get Involved
- For Academy Members
- For Educators
- For Bridges
- For Educational Leaders
- For Residents and Students
- For Volunteer Clinical Faculty (VCF)
- For Education Scholars
- CFE News and Publications
- Events Calendar
- Education Scholars
- Educational Leaders
- Volunteer Clinical Faculty (VCF)
- Academy of Medical Educators (AME)
- Contact Us
- Get Involved
- The Academy of Medical Educators (AME)
- About Us
- Membership Directory
- Membership Benefits & Eligibility
- Committees and Organization
- Faculty Resources
- Events & Meetings
- AME Endowed Chairs
- Faculty Development
- Educational Skills Workshops
- Teach for UCSF Certificate Program
- Teaching Scholars Program
- Bridges Curriculum Faculty Development
- Teaching Observation Program (TOP)
- Faculty Development Consultations
- Advanced Education Programs
- Recognition and Awards
- Research and Innovation
- Education Science at UCSF
- Educational Scholarship Conference (ESCape)
- Research Skills Development
- Funding Opportunities
- Scholarship Opportunities (presenting your work)
- Education Showcase
- Educator Career Mentoring
Center for Faculty Educators
Frequently Asked Questions
Education research is the scientific field of study that examines education and learning processes and the human attributes, interactions, organizations, and institutions that shape educational outcomes. Scholarship in the field seeks to describe, understand, and explain how learning takes place throughout a person’s life and how formal and informal contexts of education affect all forms of learning. Education research embraces the full spectrum of rigorous methods appropriate to the questions being asked and also drives the development of new tools and methods.
The CFE offers a consultation services with both group and individual consultations.
- Six weeks after proposal is submitted: Principal investigators will be notified of the status of their proposal.
- Grant start date: The principal investigator identifies the start and end date for the grant, generally a maximum of two years.
- Generally, within two years of start date: All reimbursement requests must be submitted to CFE.
Generally, two years from start date: Final report due, preferably in the form of a manuscript.
Funds are only for education research and not for curriculum development. Funds can pay for expenses incurred to do the research. Examples include research assistant time, transcription, participant incentives, materials, equipment (except computer hardware), software, and travel needed to conduct the research. Cost of preparing a poster may be included.
Funds cannot cover computer hardware, faculty salary or faculty expenses such as travel to conferences, registration fees, and memberships or subscriptions.
The focus is on education research. Preference will be given to research that is theory-driven and/or coincides with current CFE research priority areas. These priority areas are:
- Bridges Curriculum
- Clinical and procedural teaching
- Educational theories and frameworks
- Cognitive load theory
- Situated learning/Communities of practice
- Identity development
- Workplace learning
- Effect of teaching and curriculum on patient care
- Faculty development
- Innovative assessment approaches
- Interprofessional education
Yes. To be funded, studies must receive IRB approval at UCSF as well as at other institutions where data collection may take place. PI must notify CFE of the IRB approval number before making expenditures.
This program will not fund curriculum development such as on-line modules or classroom or clerkship educational programs. Such projects that are innovative or novel may be eligible for funding through the Academy of Medical Educators Innovations Funding program.
The proposal, with the principal investigator identified, is reviewed by three individuals using the review criteria. The final decision will be a consensus based on the evaluation by the reviewers.
The CFE may have affordable and convenient services and equipment that can be used for research study i.e., laptop or voice-recorder loan, transcription services, survey development and processing, etc.
Please contact Raquel Rodriguez for further inquiries.