- CFE Community
- Get Involved
- For Academy Members
- For Educators
- For Bridges
- For Educational Leaders
- For Residents and Students
- For Volunteer Clinical Faculty (VCF)
- For Education Scholars
- CFE News and Publications
- Events Calendar
- Education Scholars
- Educational Leaders
- Volunteer Clinical Faculty (VCF)
- Academy of Medical Educators (AME)
- Contact Us
- Get Involved
- The Academy of Medical Educators (AME)
- About Us
- Membership Directory
- Membership Benefits & Eligibility
- Committees and Organization
- Faculty Resources
- Events & Meetings
- AME Endowed Chairs
- Faculty Development
- Educational Skills Workshops
- Teach for UCSF Certificate Program
- Teaching Scholars Program
- Bridges Curriculum Faculty Development
- Teaching Observation Program (TOP)
- Faculty Development Consultations
- Advanced Education Programs
- Recognition and Awards
- Research and Innovation
- Education Science at UCSF
- Educational Scholarship Conference (ESCape)
- Research Skills Development
- Funding Opportunities
- Scholarship Opportunities (presenting your work)
- Education Showcase
- Educator Career Mentoring
Center for Faculty Educators
UCSF is fortunate to have a group of faculty prepared as educational researchers with doctorates in education. They bring many years of experience to help individuals interested in educational scholarship in the health professions to design conceptually well-grounded and rigorously administered research. CFE’s free consultation options include one-on-one meetings, group scholarship critiques, and consultations for education leaders on faculty development activities within their departments, programs, or courses.
- Direct individuals toward relevant conceptual framing, literature and design for educational scholarship.
- Facilitate the quality of educational research by building on previous research and methods.
- Connect individuals with services and other resources to encourage educational investigations.
Faculty or learners seeking advice and/or assistance with educational scholarship can consult individually with CFE faculty. We provide a range of services, with the goal of helping individuals develop skills to work independently. Individuals can request a consultation and are assigned a CFE faculty member with expertise that meets their needs.
At weekly "ESCape" sessions, participants typically work on developing educational scholarship through brainstorming an idea, refining an abstract or grant proposal, or critiquing a manuscript prior to submission. Regular participation builds breadth and experience in research through hearing what is shared about others’ projects, and encourages the growth of a research community at UCSF.
Faculty Development Design Consultations
We work with committees, programs and departments to design faculty development offerings tailored to the educational needs of their faculty. These can be as brief as 15 minutes or as long as grand rounds. We also help chairs, program directors, and chiefs identify current faculty development offerings that may meet their needs, and to design needs assessments and other methods to discover those needs. Our approaches and resources include: Faculty Development Express, Pearls on Educational Principles, and Competency-Based Education and Assessment. The CFE tailors materials and workshops as needed, and recommends that tailored offerings occur within the context of an existing meeting to maximize participation.