- CFE Community
- Get Involved
- For Academy Members
- For Educators
- For Bridges
- For Educational Leaders
- For Residents and Students
- For Volunteer Clinical Faculty (VCF)
- For Education Scholars
- CFE News and Publications
- Events Calendar
- Education Scholars
- Educational Leaders
- Volunteer Clinical Faculty (VCF)
- Academy of Medical Educators (AME)
- Contact Us
- Get Involved
- The Academy of Medical Educators (AME)
- About Us
- Membership Directory
- Membership Benefits & Eligibility
- Committees and Organization
- Faculty Resources
- Events & Meetings
- AME Endowed Chairs
- Faculty Development
- Educational Skills Workshops
- Teach for UCSF Certificate Program
- Teaching Scholars Program
- Bridges Curriculum Faculty Development
- Teaching Observation Program (TOP)
- Faculty Development Consultations
- Advanced Education Programs
- Recognition and Awards
- Research and Innovation
- Education Science at UCSF
- Educational Scholarship Conference (ESCape)
- Research Skills Development
- Funding Opportunities
- Scholarship Opportunities (presenting your work)
- Education Showcase
- Educator Career Mentoring
Center for Faculty Educators
Additional Funding Opportunities
WGEA Mini-Grant Initiative
The WGEA is providing a funding opportunity to both experienced and new investigators in the area of medical education research. This small grants program is meant to promote medical education research within the Western region. WGEA has made a total of $12,000 available. Investigators can request up to $5,000 to initiate a new study. A maximum of $1,000 are granted to investigators needing funds to complete ongoing projects (“finishing grants”). Priority will be given to multi-institutional projects that foster collaborations among WGEA institutions or sections (i.e., UGME, GME, CEI, and MESRE). Applications due in late September.
AERA (American Educational Research Association) Grants Program
This program provides small grants, fellowships, and training for researchers conducting educational policy studies using quantitative methods.
American Medical Colleges
Alpha Omega Alpha Robert J. Glaser Distinguished Teaching Awards
Funds for $10,000 grants to recognize the significant contribution to medical education made by gifted teachers.
The Edward J. Stemmler Medical Education Research Fund of the National Board of Medical Examiners
This fund offers support for research or development of innovative assessment approaches that may enhance the assessment of those preparing to or continuing to practice medicine. A maximum grant of $70,000 may be granted for a project period up to two years.
Foundation for Advancement of International Education and Research (FAIMER)
International Fellowships in Medical Education
Funds for faculty from schools of medicine abroad to gain access to educational opportunities in the US. Fellows study aspects of medical education that have the potential to improve and expand medical education programs in their home country institutions and departments. Eligible areas of study include educational methodology, curriculum design, and evaluation systems. Study may be conducted in departments of medical education or traditional disciplines of clinical or basic sciences.
- The Foundation Center Directory Online is a subscription service of 200,000 grants of $10,000 or more.
- Foundation Directory, an annual bound volume of the directory, is available in the Weill Cornell Medical College Library. Grants can be searched using an index of funding areas. This version is most useful for seeking information if you know the name of a granting agency or foundation.
- The Foundation Center is located at 79 Fifth Avenue at 14th Street. Use of their foundation database if free at this location. Office hours and additional location information
Arnold P. Gold Foundation
Funds for curricular programs involving humanism, ethics, compassion in medicine:
- GHHS Chapter Activity Grants ($1,500 and below; accepted on a rolling basis)
- Grants for our Signature Programs
Grants.Gov (US Dept of HHS)
To find and exchange information about 300 HHS and other Federal grant programs, this site serves the general public, the grantee community, and grant-makers.
John A. Hartford Foundation, Inc.
Aging and Health Program
Funds for conferences and seminars and program development that enhances geriatric training.
Health and Human Services, Health Resources and Services Administration
- Open Grant Opportunities
- Health Workforce Grants (Bureau of Health Workforce):
Health and Human Services - National Institutes of Health
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Education and Career Development Program
Funds for development and implementation of curriculum dependent programs to train predoctoral and postdoctoral candidates in cancer research settings that are highly interdisciplinary and collaborative
Heath and Human Services - National Institutes of Health
Office of Extramural Research
IRIS: The Illinois Researcher Information Service
IRIS is a free online database listing government and private grant support.
Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
This foundation annually funds program development, faculty scholars, seed money, particularly in areas related to health services, chronic health care, and substance abuse.
The National Forum on Higher Education for the Public Good
Funds for support of research in any discipline that explores higher education’s role in serving the public good.
Funds curricular development, education research
Josiah Macy Jr. Foundation
Funds program development, conferences, seminars, curriculum development
National Board of Medical Examiners
Edward J. Stemmler, MD, Medical Education Research Fund
Funds research, training, curriculum, or program development
This global foundation is committed to enriching and sustaining the lives and livelihoods of poor and excluded people throughout the world, using four "themes" around which they organize their grant making: food security, more equitable health outcomes, work opportunities, and creative expression opportunities.
Samuel Freeman Charitable Trust
Funds medical school/education, seed money
Christopher D. Smithers Foundation
Funds program development, conferences, seminars, seed money in the field of alcoholism
The Chronicle of Philanthropy - Guide to Grants
The Guide to Grants is an electronic database of foundation and corporate grants. Subscription rates are available for terms ranging from one week to one year.