- CFE Community
- Get Involved
- For Academy Members
- For Educators
- For Bridges
- For Educational Leaders
- For Residents and Students
- For Volunteer Clinical Faculty (VCF)
- For Education Scholars
- CFE News and Publications
- Events Calendar
- Education Scholars
- Educational Leaders
- Volunteer Clinical Faculty (VCF)
- Academy of Medical Educators (AME)
- Contact Us
- Get Involved
- The Academy of Medical Educators (AME)
- About Us
- Membership Directory
- Membership Benefits & Eligibility
- Committees and Organization
- Faculty Resources
- Events & Meetings
- AME Endowed Chairs
- Faculty Development
- Educational Skills Workshops
- Teach for UCSF Certificate Program
- Teaching Scholars Program
- Bridges Curriculum Faculty Development
- Teaching Observation Program (TOP)
- Faculty Development Consultations
- Advanced Education Programs
- Recognition and Awards
- Research and Innovation
- Education Science at UCSF
- Educational Scholarship Conference (ESCape)
- Research Skills Development
- Funding Opportunities
- Scholarship Opportunities (presenting your work)
- Education Showcase
- Educator Career Mentoring
Center for Faculty Educators
Academy Application: Preparation and Submission
A strong membership application requires thoughtful advance planning and several iterations of review with the assigned coach.
Key steps to applying:
- Download workbook and FAQs, draft your application using the Word templates provided and review with coach.
- Email the final draft application to the AME at email@example.com for administrative review by or before April 25.
- Following a satisfactory administrative review, submit the final on-line application by or before May 16. (Link will be provided by the AME.)
The following components comprise a complete application:
Checklist: specifies the candidate’s educational focus(es) and roles in which s/he is applying.
Personal statement: two pages maximum; should thoughtfully describe the candidate’s educational philosophy, trajectory, future direction, and intended contributions to the AME and the school.
Educator’s Portfolio: see Workbook Parts 2 and 3 for templates and examples. A maximum of 7 pages, the EP contains:
- A 1-page Executive Summary that briefly describes up to 5 significant contributions to education, organized by role, with Teaching as the first contribution.
- There may be more than one highlighted contribution in a given role (e.g. Teaching and 2 examples of Educational Leadership).
- Up to 3 detailed role descriptions (maximum 2 pages each)
- Teaching is required, plus 1-2 other contributions highlighted in the Executive Summary.
- Candidates with significant leadership responsibilities (e.g. course, clerkship or residency director) must apply in Educational Leadership.
PLEASE NOTE: A common mistake is to apply in too many categories, including roles in which candidates cannot demonstrate excellence.
Letters of support:
- All applicants: Department chair letter - may be written by a division chief, but must be transmitted to the AME by the department chair with endorsement of the content.
- If applying in Mentoring and Advising: letters from three mentees or advisees.
- If applying in Educational Leadership: letters from three peers or supervisors who are able to discuss from personal experience the applicant’s leadership and administrative qualities.
All letters must be requested by the candidate but emailed by the letter writer directly to the AME (firstname.lastname@example.org). All letters must be contained within the message body of an email. Attachments cannot be accepted.
For help, contact Kathleen Land, AME Membership Lead, email@example.com