- CFE Community
- Get Involved
- For Academy Members
- For Educators
- For Bridges
- For Educational Leaders
- For Residents and Students
- For Volunteer Clinical Faculty (VCF)
- For Education Scholars
- CFE News and Publications
- Events Calendar
- Education Scholars
- Educational Leaders
- Volunteer Clinical Faculty (VCF)
- Academy of Medical Educators (AME)
- Contact Us
- Get Involved
- The Academy of Medical Educators (AME)
- About Us
- Membership Directory
- Membership Benefits & Eligibility
- Committees and Organization
- Faculty Resources
- Events and Meetings
- Faculty Development
- Educational Skills Workshops
- Teach for UCSF Certificate Program
- Teaching Scholars Program
- Bridges Curriculum Faculty Development
- Teaching Observation Program (TOP)
- Faculty Development Consultations
- Advanced Education Programs
- Recognition and Awards
- Research and Innovation
- Education Science at UCSF
- Educational Scholarship Conference (ESCape)
- Research Skills Development
- Funding Opportunities
- Scholarship Opportunities (presenting your work)
- Education Showcase
- Educator Career Mentoring
Center for Faculty Educators
TOP Observer Training
In the CFE, our vision is a culture of peer observation of teaching at UCSF through an easily accessible Teaching Observation Program (TOP). To that end, we've created a low barrier process to become a TOP Observer through our in-person workshops and online training module.
For TOP Observers who successfully complete training:
- You can request a verification letter for your ADVANCE Educator's Portfolio or CV, with the option to send copies to your education leadership (e.g. department chair).
- You have the option for inclusion in our UCSF TOP Observer program, which provides a list of observers to TOP participants who wish to be observed. Our goal is to provide a robust list of observers across departments and schools at UCSF and create a culture of peer feedback
- Your contact information is protected from public view via MyAccess and only shared with confirmed participants.
- If you are an Academy member, this goes towards annual Academy service and participation.
Online Training Module
Developed by the Academy as an online method of training TOP Mentors, this module is accessible via the CLE for UCSF and non-UCSF Faculty. The module benefits novices seeking to learn basic feedback skills and experienced mentors seeking to hone their skills or practice with a different teaching setting by using the principles of "blended learning."
Use the module in its entirety or adapt it to the needs of your department or division.
Live interactions require TOP Module Coaches, who are familiar with the training module and experienced in providing peer feedback. We recommend using this module to first train a group of mentors who can serve as Module Coaches for future TOP Mentors.
Key module features:
- Videos - Covering four different teaching settings. Users can select any that are of interest or most resemble their teaching environment.
- Self-assessments and reflection exercises
- Standardized feedback forms
- Live Debrief with trained Module Coach
- UCSF Faculty access the module in the CLE (requires MyAccess login), go to: https://courses.ucsf.edu/course/view.php?id=1579
- Non-UCSF Faculty can access our public versions:
- UCSF CLE Public Site (non-UCSF Faculty) https://courses.ucsf.edu/course/view.php?id=1580
- MedEdPORTAL's iCollaborative https://www.mededportal.org/icollaborative/resource/672
CFE offers workshops throughout the year for in-person TOP Observer training.
The Teaching Observation Program: Introduction to Peer Assessment of Teaching
Friday, June 23, 2017
9:00am - 12:00pm
Resources for TOP
- Small group observation form
- Lecture observation form
- Clinical TOP observation form
- OR TOP Observation form
- TOP Best Practices and Common Challenges
If you have specific department needs or any questions regarding the TOP Observer program, please contact us at email@example.com.