- CFE Community
- Get Involved
- For Academy Members
- For Educators
- For Bridges
- For Educational Leaders
- For Residents and Students
- For Volunteer Clinical Faculty (VCF)
- For Education Scholars
- CFE News and Publications
- Events Calendar
- Education Scholars
- Educational Leaders
- Volunteer Clinical Faculty (VCF)
- Academy of Medical Educators (AME)
- Contact Us
- Get Involved
- The Academy of Medical Educators (AME)
- About Us
- Membership Directory
- Membership Benefits & Eligibility
- Committees and Organization
- Faculty Resources
- Events & Meetings
- AME Endowed Chairs
- Faculty Development
- Educational Skills Workshops
- Teach for UCSF Certificate Program
- Teaching Scholars Program
- Bridges Curriculum Faculty Development
- Teaching Observation Program (TOP)
- Faculty Development Consultations
- Advanced Education Programs
- Recognition and Awards
- Research and Innovation
- Education Science at UCSF
- Educational Scholarship Conference (ESCape)
- Research Skills Development
- Funding Opportunities
- Scholarship Opportunities (presenting your work)
- Education Showcase
- Educator Career Mentoring
Center for Faculty Educators
- Frenkel J, Chen HC, Ten Cate O. Patient-Centered Teaching in a Technology-Dominated Era. South Med J. 2016 Dec;109(12):743-746
- Hauer KE, Vandergrift J, Hess B, Lipner RS, Holmboe ES, Hood S, Iobst W, Hamstra SJ, McDonald FS. Correlations Between Ratings on the Resident Annual Evaluation Summary and the Internal Medicine Milestones and Association With ABIM Certification Examination Scores Among US Internal Medicine Residents, 2013-2014. JAMA. 2016 Dec 6;316(21):2253-2262. doi: 10.1001/jama.2016.17357.
- Boet S, Pigford AA, Fitzsimmons A, Reeves S, Triby E, Bould MD. Interprofessional team debriefings with or without an instructor after a simulated crisis scenario: An exploratory case study. J Interprof Care. 2016 Nov;30(6):717-725. Epub 2016 Jun 16.
- Chen AK, Rivera J, Rotter N, Green E, Kools S. Interprofessional education in the clinical setting: A qualitative look at the preceptor's perspective in training advanced practice nursing students. Nurse Educ Pract. 2016 Nov;21:29-36. doi: 10.1016/j.nepr.2016.09.006. Epub 2016 Sep 28.
- Chen HC, Wamsley MA, Azzam A, Julian K, Irby DM, O'Sullivan PS. The Health Professions Education Pathway: Preparing Students, Residents, and Fellows to Become Future Educators. Teach Learn Med. 2016 Nov 4:1-12. [Epub ahead of print]
- Hudson JN, Poncelet AN, Weston KM, Bushnell JA, A Farmer E. Longitudinal integrated clerkships. Med Teach. 2016 Nov 10:1-7.
- Myers K, Chou CL. Collaborative and Bidirectional Feedback Between Students and Clinical Preceptors: Promoting Effective Communication Skills on Health Care Teams. J Midwifery Womens Health. 2016 Nov;61(S1):22-27. doi: 10.1111/jmwh.12505.
- Rosenbluth G, Garritson S, Green AL, Miley D, Vidyarthi AR, Auerbach AD, Baron RB. Achieving Hand Hygiene Success With a Partnership Between Graduate Medical Education, Hospital Leadership, and Physicians. Am J Med Qual. 2016 Nov;31(6):577-583. Epub 2015 Jul 22.
- Stone A, Wamsley M, O'Sullivan P, Satterfield J, Satre DD, Julian K. Faculty development efforts to promote screening, brief intervention, and referral to treatment (SBIRT) in an internal medicine faculty-resident practice. Subst Abus. 2016 Nov 29:1-4. doi: 10.1080/08897077.2016.1264533. [Epub ahead of print]
- Welch J, Sawtelle S, Cheng D, Perkins T, Ownbey M, MacNeill E, Hockberger R, Rusyniak D. Faculty Mentoring Practices in Academic Emergency Medicine. Acad Emerg Med. 2016 Nov 17. doi: 10.1111/acem.13136. [Epub ahead of print]
- West DC, Miller KH, Artino AR Jr. Foreward: Characteristics of RIME Papers That Make the Cut. Acad Med. 2016 Nov;91(11 Association of American Medical Colleges Learn Serve Lead: Proceedings of the 55th Annual Research in Medical Education Sessions):Si-Siii.
- Alston MJ, Autry AM, Wagner SA, Allshouse AA, Stephenson-Famy A. Advising and Interview Patterns of Medical Students Pursuing Obstetrics and Gynecology Residency. Obstet Gynecol. 2016 Oct;128 Suppl 1:17S-22S.
- Englander R, Flynn T, Call S, Carraccio C, Cleary L, Fulton TB, Garrity MJ, Lieberman SA, Lindeman B, Lypson ML, Minter RM, Rosenfield J, Thomas J, Wilson MC, Aschenbrener CA. Toward Defining the Foundation of the MD Degree: Core Entrustable Professional Activities for Entering Residency. Acad Med. 2016 Oct;91(10):1352-1358.
- Hauer, KE. Elevating the value of direct observation for learning: the limits of autonomy. Med Educ. 2016 Oct;50(10):994-6. doi: 10.1111/medu.13141
- O'Brien BC, Ruddick VJ, Young JQ. Generating Research Questions Appropriate for Qualitative Studies in Health Professions Education. Acad Med. 2016 Oct 4.
- Sheu L, O'Sullivan PS, Aagaard EM, Tad-Y D, Harrell HE, Kogan JR, Nixon J, Hollander H, Hauer KE. How Residents Develop Trust in Interns: A Multi-Institutional Mixed-Methods Study. Acad Med. 2016 Oct;91(10):1406-1415.
- Azzam A, Bresler D, Leon A, Maggio L, Whitaker E, Heilman J, Orlowitz J, Swisher V, Rasberry L, Otoide K, Trotter F, Ross W, McCue JD. Why Medical Schools Should Embrace Wikipedia: Final-Year Medical Student Contributions to Wikipedia Articles for Academic Credit at One School. Acad Med. 2016 Sep 13.
- Chan TM, Thoma B, Krishnan K, Lin M, Carpenter CR, Astin M, Kulasegaram K. Derivation of Two Critical Appraisal Scores for Trainees to Evaluate Online Educational Resources: A METRIQ Study. West J Emerg Med. 2016 Sep;17(5):574-84. doi: 10.5811/westjem.2016.6.30825. Epub 2016 Jul 26.
- Chen A, Brodie M. Resisting Outdated Models of Pedagogical Domination and Subordination in Health Professions Education. AMA J Ethics. 2016 Sep 1;18(9):903-9. doi: 10.1001/journalofethics.2016.18.9.ecas3-1609.
- Chen HC, Teherani A. Common Qualitative Methodologies and Research Designs in Health Professions Education. Acad Med. 2016 Sep 20.
- Langdorf MI, Lin M. Emergency Medicine Scholarship in the Digital Age. West J Emerg Med. 2016 Sep;17(5):511-2. Epub 2016 Aug 31.
- Turco MG, Baron RB. Observations on the 2016 World Congress on Continuing Professional Development: Advancing Learning and Care in the Health Professions. J Contin Educ Health Prof. 2016 Summer;36 Suppl 1:S4-7. doi: 10.1097/CEH.0000000000000106.
- Young JQ, van Dijk SM, O'Sullivan PS, Custers EJ, Irby DM, Ten Cate O. Influence of learner knowledge and case complexity on handover accuracy and cognitive load: results from a simulation study. Med Educ. 2016 Sep;50(9):969-78. doi: 10.1111/medu.13107.
- West C, Graham L, Palmer RT, Miller MF, Thayer EK, Stuber ML, Awdishu L, Umoren RA, Wamsley MA, Nelson EA, Joo PA, Tysinger JW, George P, Carney PA. Implementation of interprofessional education (IPE) in 16 U.S. medical schools: Common practices, barriers and facilitators. J Interprof Educ Pract. 2016 Sep;4:41-49. doi: 10.1016/j.xjep.2016.05.002. Epub 2016 Jul 19.
- Zaver F, Hansen M, Leibner E, Little A, Lin M. Blog and Podcast Watch: Pediatric Emergency Medicine. Blog and Podcast Watch: Pediatric Emergency Medicine. West J Emerg Med. 2016 Sep;17(5):513-8. doi: 10.5811/westjem.2016.6.30193. Epub 2016 Jul 21.
- Bays A, Wahl E, Daikh DI, Yazdany J, Schmajuk G. Implementation of disease activity measurement for rheumatoid arthritis patients in an academic rheumatology clinic. BMC Health Serv Res. 2016 Aug 15;16(a):384. doi: 10.1186/s12913-016-1633-x.
- Blitzstein SM, Seritan AL, Sockalingam S, Randall M, Kablinger A, Lieff S, Azzam A. From Industry to Generativity: The First 12 Years of the Association for Academic Psychiatry Master Educator Program. Acad Psychiatry. 2016 Aug;40(4):576-83. doi: 10.1007/s40596-016-0561-8. Epub 2016 May 2.
- Courtier J, Webb EM, Phelps AS, Naeger DM. Assessing the learning potential of an interactive digital game versus an interactive-style didactic lecture: the continued importance of didactic teaching in medical student education. Pediatr Radiol. 2016 Aug 31.
- Feldman MD. Getting to the 'Why' of Behavior Change. J Gen Intern Med. 2016 Aug;31(8):819-20. doi: 10.1007/s11606-016-3752-9.
- Feraco AM, Starmer AJ, Sectish TC, Spector ND, West DC, Landrigan. Reliability of Verbal Handoff Assessment and Handoff Quality Before and After Implementation of a Resident Handoff Bundle. Acad Pediatr. 2016 Aug;16(6):524-31. doi: 10.1016/j.acap.2016.04.002. Epub 2016 Apr 16.
- Kalet A, Guerrasio J, Chou CL. Twelve tips for developing and maintaining a remediation program in medical education. Med Teach. 2016 Aug;38(8):787-92. doi: 10.3109/0142159X.2016.1150983. Epub 2016 Apr 6.
- Leppink J, O'Sullivan P, Winston K. On variation and uncertainty. Perspect Med Educ. 2016 Aug;5(4):231-4. doi: 10.1007/s40037-016-0281-5. Epub 2016 Jul 12.
- Pennington K, Tong IL, Lai CJ, O'Sullivan P, Sheu L. The Value of Student-Run Clinics for Premedical Students: A Multi-Institutional Study. J Health Care Poor Underserved. 2016;27(3):961-70. doi: 10.1353/hpu.2016.0132.
- Price EL, Sewell JL, Hm Chen A, Sarkar U. Minding the Gaps: Assessing Communication Outcomes of Electronic Preconsultation Exchange. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2016 Aug;42(8):341-54.
- Varpio L, Gruppen L, Hu W, O'Brien B, Ten Cate O, Humphrey-Murto S, Irby DM, van der Vleuten C, Hamstra SJ, Durning SJ. Working Definitions of the Roles and an Organizational Structure in Health Professions Education Scholarship: Initiating an International Conversation. Acad Med. 2016 Aug 30.
- Duong DK, O'Sullivan PS, Satre DD, Soskin P, Satterfield J. Social Workers as Workplace-Based Instructors of Alcohol and Drug Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment (SBIRT) for Emergency Medicine Residents. Teach Learn Med. 2016 Jul-Sep;28(3):303-13.
- Fordis M, King JE, Bonaduce de Nigris F, Morrow R, Baron RB, Kues JR, Kessler H, Mazmanian PE, Colburn L. Dissemination of Evidence From Systematic Reviews Through Academic CME Providers: A Feasibility Study. J Contin Educ Health Prof. 2016 Spring;36(2):104-12.
- Green CA, Vaughn CJ, Wyles SM, O'Sullivan PS, Kim EH, Chern H. Evaluation of a Surgery-Based Adjunct Course for Senior Medical Students Entering Surgical Residencies. J Surg Educ. 2016 Jul-Aug;73(4):631-8.
- Kohlwes J, O'Brien B, Stanley M, Grant R, Shunk R, Connor D, Cornett P, Hollander H. Does Research Training During Residency Promote Scholarship and Influence Career Choice? A Cross-Sectional Analysis of a 10-Year Cohort of the UCSF-PRIME Internal Medicine Residency Program. Teach Learn Med. 2016 Jul-Sep;28(3):314-9.
- Maggio LA, Sewell JL, Artino AR Jr. The Literature Review: A Foundation for High-Quality Medical Education Research. J Grad Med Educ. 2016 Jul;8(3):297-303. doi: 10.4300/JGME-D-16-00175.1.
- Phelps A, Wan J, Straus C, Naeger DM, Webb EM. Incorporation of Ultrasound Education Into Medical School Curricula: Survey of Directors of Medical Student Education in Radiology. Acad Radiol. 2016 Jul;23(7):830-5.
- Reeves S, Fletcher S, Barr H, Birch I, Boet S, Davies N, McFadyen A, Rivera J, Kitto S. A BEME systematic review of the effects of interprofessional education: BEME Guide No. 39. Med Teach. 2016 Jul;38(7):656-68. doi: 10.3109/0142159X.2016.1173663. Epub 2016 May 5.
- Chen HC, Fogh S, Kobashi B, Teherani A, Ten Cate O, O'Sullivan P. An interview study of how clinical teachers develop skills to attend to different level learners. Med Teach. 2016 Jun;38(6):578-84.
- Ernecoff NC, Witteman HO, Chon K, Chen YI, Buddadhumaruk P, Chiarchiaro J, Shotsberger KJ, Shields AM, Myers BA, Hough CL, Carson SS, Lo B, Matthay MA, Anderson WG, Peterson MW, Steingrub JS, Arnold RM, White DB. Key stakeholders' perceptions of the acceptability and usefulness of a tablet-based tool to improve communication and shared decision making in ICUs. J Crit Care. 2016 Jun;33:19-25.
- Sewell JL, Boscardin CK, Young JQ, Ten Cate O, O'Sullivan PS. Measuring cognitive load during procedural skills training with colonoscopy as an exemplar. Med Educ. 2016 Jun;50(6):682-92. doi: 10.1111/medu.12965. PMID: 27170086.
- Shekarchian S, Schwartz BS, Teherani A, Irby D, Chin-Hong PV. Is It Time for a Coordinated and Longitudinal Approach to Antibiotic Stewardship Education? Clin Infect Dis. 2016 Jun 25. pii: ciw419.
- van der Gijp A, Ravesloot CJ, Ten Cate OT, van Schaik JP, Webb EM, Naeger DM. Tests, Quizzes, and Self-Assessments: How to Construct a High-Quality Examination. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2016 Jun 1:1-5.
- van Schaik SM, Regehr G, Eva KW, Irby DM, O'Sullivan PS. Perceptions of Peer-to-Peer Interprofessional Feedback Among Students in the Health Professions. Acad Med. 2016 Jun;91(6):807-12.
- Barlam TF, Cosgrove SE, Abbo LM, MacDougall C, Schuetz AN, Septimus EJ, Srinivasan A, Dellit TH, Falck-Ytter YT, Fishman NO, Hamilton CW, Jenkins TC, Lipsett PA, Malani PN, May LS, Moran GJ, Neuhauser MM, Newland JG, Ohl CA, Samore MH, Seo SK, Trivedi KK. Executive Summary: Implementing an Antibiotic Stewardship Program: Guidelines by the Infectious Diseases Society of America and the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America. Clin Infect Dis. 2016 May 15;62(10):1197-202. doi: 10.1093/cid/ciw217.
- Carney PA, Palmer RT, Fuqua Miller M, Thayer EK, Estroff SE, Litzelman DK, Biagioli FE, Teal CR, Lambros A, Hatt WJ, Satterfield JM. Tools to Assess Behavioral and Social Science Competencies in Medical Education: A Systematic Review. Acad Med. 2016 May;91(5):730-42.
- Hauer KE, Cate OT, Boscardin CK, Iobst W, Holmboe ES, Chesluk B, Baron RB, O'Sullivan PS. Ensuring Resident Competence: A Narrative Review of the Literature on Group Decision Making to Inform the Work of Clinical Competency Committees. J Grad Med Educ. 2016 May;8(2):156-64.
- Lin M, Joshi N, Grock A, Swaminathan A, Morley EJ, Branzetti J, Taira T,Ankel F, Yarris LM. Approved Instructional Resources Series: A National Initiative to Identify Quality Emergency Medicine Blog and Podcast Content for Resident Education. J Grad Med Educ. 2016 May;8(2):219-25.
- Melber DJ, Teherani A, Schwartz BS. A Comprehensive Survey of Preclinical Microbiology Curricula Among US Medical Schools.Clin Infect Dis. 2016 Apr 28.
- O'Brien BC, Bachuber MD, Teherani A, Iker TM, Batt J, O'Sullivan PS. Systems-Oriented Workplace Learning Experiences for Early Learners: Three Models. Acad Med. 2016 May 31.
- Paradis E,O'Brien B, Nimmon L, Bandiera G, Martimianakis MA. Design: Selection of Data Collection Methods. J Grad Med Educ. 2016 May;8(2):263-4.
- Seymann GB, Southern W, Burger A, Brotman DJ, Chakraborti C, Harrison R, Parekh V, Sharpe BA, Pile J, Hunt D, Leykum LK. Features of successful academic hospitalist programs: Insights from the SCHOLAR (SuCcessful HOspitaLists in academics and research) project. J Hosp Med. 2016 May 18. doi: 10.1002/jhm.2603. [Epub ahead of print] Review. PMID: 27189874 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
- Sheu L, Laponis R, Julian K. Educating the Next Generation of Physicians in Interprofessional Collaboration. J Gen Intern Med. 2016 May 5.
- Toohey SL, Wray A, Wiechmann W, Lin M, Boysen-Osborn M. Ten Tips for Engaging the Millennial Learner and Moving an Emergency Medicine Residency Curriculum into the 21st Century. West J Emerg Med. 2016 May;17(3):337-43.
- Young JQ, Ten Cate O, O'Sullivan PS, Irby DM. Unpacking the Complexity of Patient Handoffs Through the Lens of Cognitive Load Theory. Teach Learn Med. 2016;28(1):88-96.
- Ackerman SL, Boscardin C, Karliner L, Handley MA, Cheng S, Gaither TW, Hagey J, Hennein L, Malik F, Shaw B, Trinidad N, Zahner G, Gonzales R. The Action Research Program: Experiential Learning in Systems-Based Practice for First-Year Medical Students. Teach Learn Med. 2016;28(2):183-91. doi: 10.1080/10401334.2016.1146606. Published online: 11 Apr 2016.
- Englander R, Flynn T, Call S, Carraccio C, Cleary L, Fulton TB, Garrity MJ, Lieberman SA, Lindeman B, Lypson ML, Minter RM, Rosenfield J, Thomas J, Wilson MC, Aschenbrener CA. Toward Defining the Foundation of the MD Degree: Core Entrustable Professional Activities for Entering Residency. Acad Med. 2016 Apr 19.
- Feraco AM, Starmer AJ, Sectish TC, Spector ND, West DC, Landrigan CP. Reliability of Verbal Handoff Assessment and Handoff Quality Before and After Implementation of a Resident Handoff Bundle. Acad Pediatr. 2016 Apr 15. pii: S1876-2859(16)30130-9.
- Fletcher KE, Ranji SR. Does it matter how much physician trainees work anymore? BMJ Qual Saf. 2016 Apr 26. pii: bmjqs-2016-005534. doi: 10.1136/bmjqs-2016-005534.
- Irby DM, Hamstra SJ. Parting the Clouds: Three Professionalism Frameworks in Medical Education. Acad Med. 2016 Apr 26.
- Sehgal NL, Neeman N, King TE. Early Experiences After Adopting a Quality Improvement Portfolio Into the Academic Advancement Process. Acad Med. 2016 Apr 26.
- Turner JA, Fitzsimons MG, Pardo MC Jr, Hawkins JL, Huang YM, Rudolph MD, Keyes MA, Howard-Quijano KJ, Naim NZ, Buckley JC, Grogan TR, Steadman RH. Effect of Performance Deficiencies on Graduation and Board Certification Rates: A 10-yr Multicenter Study of Anesthesiology Residents. Anesthesiology. 2016 Apr 27.
- Vesel TP, O'Brien BC, Henry DM, van Schaik SM. Useful but Different: Resident Physician Perceptions of Interprofessional Feedback. Teach Learn Med. 2016;28(2):125-34. doi: 10.1080/10401334.2016.1146609.
- Chan TM, Grock A, Paddock M, Kulasegaram K, Yarris LM, Lin M. Examining Reliability and Validity of an Online Score (ALiEM AIR) for Rating Free Open Access Medical Education Resources. Ann Emerg Med. 2016 Mar 29. pii: S0196-0644(16)00122-0.
- Ernecoff NC, Witteman HO, Chon K, Chen YI, Buddadhumaruk P, Chiarchiaro J, Shotsberger KJ, Shields AM, Myers BA, Hough CL, Carson SS, Lo B, Matthay MA, Anderson WG, Peterson MW, Steingrub JS, Arnold RM, White DB. Key stakeholders' perceptions of the acceptability and usefulness of a tablet-based tool to improve communication and shared decision making in ICUs. J Crit Care. 2016 Jun;33:19-25. Epub 2016 Mar 8.
- Feldman, MD. International Perspectives on General Internal Medicine. J Gen Intern Med. 2016 Mar;31(3):259. doi: 10.1007/s11606-015-3578-x.
- Mitchell K, Lewis RS, Satterfield J, Hong BA. The new Medical College Admission Test: Implications for teaching psychology. Am Psychol. 2016 Feb-Mar;71(2):125-35.
- Sheu L, O'Sullivan PS, Aagaard EM, Tad-Y D, Harrell HE, Kogan JR, Nixon J, Hollander H, Hauer KE. How Residents Develop Trust in Interns: A Multi-Institutional Mixed-Methods Study. Acad Med. 2016 Mar 15.
- Chen HC, McNamara M, Teherani A, Cate OT, O'Sullivan P. Developing Entrustable Professional Activities for Entry Into Clerkship. Acad Med. 2016 Feb;91(2):247-55.
- Chen HC, Ten Cate O, O'Sullivan P, Boscardin C, Eidson-Ton WS, Basaviah P, Woehrle T, Teherani A. Students' goal orientations, perceptions of early clinical experiences and learning outcomes.Med Educ. 2016 Feb;50(2):203-13. .
- O'Sullivan PS, Mkony C, Beard J, Irby DM. Identity formation and motivation of new faculty developers: A replication study in a resource constrained university.Med Teach. 2016 Feb 8:1-7.
- van Schaik SM, O'Sullivan PS, Eva KW, Irby DM, Regehr G. Does source matter? Nurses' and Physicians' perceptions of interprofessional feedback. Med Educ.2016 Feb;50(2):181-8.
- Young JQ, Irby DM, Barilla-LaBarca ML, Ten Cate O, O'Sullivan PS. Measuring cognitive load: mixed results from a handover simulation for medical students. Perspect Med Educ. 2016 Feb;5(1):24-32. doi: 10.1007/s40037-015-0240-6.
- Maggio LA, ten Cate O, Chen HC, Irby DM, O'Brien BC. Challenges to Learning Evidence-Based Medicine and Educational Approaches to Meet These Challenges: A Qualitative Study of Selected EBM Curricula in U.S. and Canadian Medical Schools. Acad Med. 2016 Jan;91(1):101-6. doi: 10.1097/ACM.0000000000000814.
- Rosenbluth, G, Tabas, JA, Baron, RB. What's in It for Me? Maintenance of Certification as an Incentive for Faculty Supervision of Resident Quality Improvement Projects. Acad Med. 2016 Jan;91(1):56-9.